Date: 10th February 2014 at 5:58pm
Written by:

The Clarets in the end had a comfortable 3-1 victory over struggling Millwall in the clash at Turf Moor on Saturday. A Woolford goal in the 27th minute had put the visitors ahead but their lead was short-lived lasting just two minutes before Danny Ings scored to put the Clarets back on level terms. After that Burnley never really looked in any danger and they crucially took the lead just before half time following a 25 yard screamer from Dean Marney. The match was effectively wrapped up in the second half when Danny Ings got his second of the afternoon just past the hour mark. It would have been a hat trick for the hotshot striker had he not earlier also missed a penalty in the first half. The 3-1 win over the Lions marked Burnley`s 19th successive unbeaten home match in the Football League with no defeat now in almost 11 months and that just happens to be a new post war record at Turf Moor! The victory also ensured Burnley moved back into second spot with QPR not playing until Monday night. They are now ahead of the Rs on goal difference but could drop back down to third if QPR manage to pick up any points in their tricky game against fourth placed Derby County at Pride Park on Monday night. It was a good day all round with Leicester also dropping points in their 2-2 home draw against Watford. The Foxes left it late though coming from 2-0 down. Drinkwater got their equaliser in the 90th minute. The result now means Burnley are 11 points behind the league leaders with a game in hand.

Team Sheet

In the end with a full squad to choose from Sean Dyche stuck with an unchanged team from the side that impressed at QPR the previous Saturday. The line-up therefore was as follows: < BR>
Heaton, Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee, Jones, Kightly, Marney, Arfield, Vokes, Ings

Subs: Cisak, Long, Edgar, Treacy, Stanislas, Wallace, Barnes

Full Match Report

Hampshire referee, Keith Stroud got the match underway on a wet, blustery day in Burnley and it was the visitors who seemed to be taking early advantage of the windy conditions. A pretty hopeful cross from Scott Malone became more of a threat when the wind took hold of the ball forcing Heaton to tip it over the bar at his near post. The Clarets though were soon into their stride and a cross from Kightly in the 19th minute from the right flank found Sam Vokes ideally placed. Charging in though the Welshman narrowly headed over the bar. Ian Holloway`s tactics for the afternoon soon became clear with the visitors quite happy to defend deep and try and catch the Clarets out on the break. Out of the blue though, the Lions suddenly got their noses in front from a free kick in the 27th minute. The ball was headed clear on the edge of the box but it fell kindly for Woolford who volleyed the ball home with a powerful shot. Burnley though were soon back in the game just two minutes later when they drew level. Trippier charging down the line found Kightly who headed the ball infield to pick up Ings. The England Under 21 international striker got the better of his marker turning him to shoot high into the roof of the net with the ball taking a slight deflection. With eight minutes of the first half remaining the Clarets nearly got their noses in front following some nice approach work from Vokes and Ings. The ball was finally flicked on to Arfield eight yards out but he could not get enough power on his header to beat Bywater. The Clarets though were now turning up the heat with the Lions defence, the worst in the Championship now under considerable pressure. Arfield at the corner flag looked to be going nowhere until he nutmegged his marker to cut in to the by-line. Cutting the ball back, Sam Vokes then cleverly dummied the ball allowing it to fall to Ings. His first touch was poor but he got a second chance with a reflex shot that took a deflection over the bar. Ings was suddenly having a bad time of things and it got worse in the 88th minute after being fouled in the box by Nadjim Abduo. Stepping up to take the penalty himself, he saw his shot well-saved by Bywater. He may well have been put off by the lengthy delay before he was allowed to take the spot kick but it was a rare miss from the hotshot striker! Bywater was certainly seeing a lot of action now with Burnley virtually camped in Millwall`s half. Next the busy keeper had to parry an Arfield shot wide but his luck was not going to last much longer! With just seconds of the half remaining, Arfield in the area patiently rolled the ball back to Marney on the edge of the box and he unleashed a left-footed screamer that flew into the back of the net with Bywater a virtual spectator. So 2-1 to the Clarets at the break then with the home side now well in control.

Sean Dyche made no changes to the team at half-time and they started as they finished the first, on the attack and looking likely to score next. Trippier was causing the Lions defence all sorts of problems with his crosses and passing ability. He nearly managed to set up Ings with one such attack before neatly giving Vokes a chance too after releasing the Welsh international. The striker`s low shot though was saved by a thankful Bywater at his near post. In the 62nd minute though, the visitors were finally rocked by a third goal from the Clarets and it was that man Danny Ings again that caused the damage! Trippier was becoming unstoppable and this time he pulled off a 60 yard pass to beat the last defender and set up Ings. Charging forward he controlled the dropping ball with great skill and perfection to then calmly slot the ball underneath the keeper and notch up a remarkable 24 goals for the season! Millwall were now really on the rack and all they could do now was change tactics and try and be more attack minded. Holloways decided to move to 4-4-2 in an effort to try and get back in the game but it all proved to be fruitless in the end despite some early promise. In a rare Lions attack, a right wing cross from DJ Campbell took a deflection off Ben Mee`s boot and with the ball spinning upwards and then dipping towards target, Heaton did well to tip the ball onto the face of the crossbar. Burnley though were still in control and with about 15 minutes still to play decided to give Ashley Barnes a run out in place of Sam Vokes. The onslaught continued with the Clarets now looking to improve their goal difference even more against the hapless Lions. Kightly was unlucky on two occasions with Bywater twice denying the on-loan winger. Ings looking for his hat trick was then denied again following a corner from substitute Junior Stanislas who had replaced Arfield in the 84th minute. The defence though got in a vital header inside the six yard box and Ings in the end had to settle for a brace. Stanislas came close to scoring himself from a free kick with the clock ticking down. The ball was heading for the top corner until Bywater kept the score respectable with a good save. There was just time now for Ross Wallace to make his first appearance since August after coming on to replace Ings in 89th minute. He came on to massive applause from the home contingent and it was certainly good to see the fella back again! It all added up to a good day at the office, Wallace back, another home win and new record, back up to second and Leicester drop points!

Match Stats

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee, Jones, Kightly, Marney, Arfield (Stanislas – 84), Vokes (Barnes – 76), Ings (Wallace – 89)

Subs Not Used: Cisak, Long, Edgar, Treacy

Goals: Ings 29, 62 Marney 45

Booked: Yellow Card for Ings (38)

Millwall: Bywater, Fredericks, Malone, Upson (McDonald – 68), Robinson, Williams, Woolford, Abdou (Chaplow – 76), Morison, Campbell, Martin (Jackson – 55)

Subs Not Used: Gerrar, Dunne, Feeney, Easter

Goal: Woolford 27

Booked: Yellow Cards for Upson (24) and Robinson (87)

Possession: 59% Burnley, 41% Millwall (Source: BBC Sport)

Referee: Keith Stroud (Hampshire)


One Reply to “Burnley Change the Record after Beating Lions!”

  • Pity that only 11,000 or so could be bothered to turn up! We are afterall pushing for automatic promotion. This was a good result and a convincing performance though

Comments are closed.