Date: 12th January 2014 at 1:04pm
Written by:

The Clarets had a good day in the bright sunshine down in Somerset on Saturday picking up their first double of the season with a 2-1 victory over struggling Yeovil. It was their first ever visit to Huish Park and it was also their first victory on the road since October despite their lofty position in the Championship. They had not won in six games on the road until Saturday and the victory keeps them in the automatic promotion hunt. Burnley started this game knowing they were now seven points behind league leaders, Leicester City following the Foxes impressive 4-1 demolition of fellow automatic promotion contenders, Derby County in the King Power Stadium the previous night. It was clear that three points were vital against Yeovil if we wanted to keep within spitting distance of the league leaders. A goal in each half from first Danny Ings in the 19th minute and then Sam Vokes just past the hour mark had given Burnley a comfortable 2-0 cushion against the relegation-threatened Glovers. The hosts though managed to pull a goal back in the 80th minute to make it a nervy last ten minutes for the Clarets but they held on to pick up three valuable points and remain second in the table. Burnley now have 50 points from 25 games; four behind Leicester. The Foxes did the Clarets a favour on the positive side by beating Derby. The Rams in 4th place are now six points behind the Clarets so we are beginning to pull ahead of at least one of the automatic promotion contenders. At the moment though it`s looking very much like a three-horse race, with QPR in third spot enjoying a 3-1 away victory at Ipswich to remain just one point behind the Clarets. Derby`s drubbing on Friday night also now gives Burnley a goal difference advantage over the Rams of four goals and we also have a six goal advantage over QPR. We now have the joint best goal difference in the Championship on plus 19 which we share with Leicester. It`s been a good 2014 start for the Clarets in the Championship so far with two wins in two games and now we have a chance to make it three with Sheffield Wednesday the visitors to Turf Moor next Saturday. The Owls have been another struggling side this season although they did go on the rampage at the weekend beating Leeds United 6-0 at Hillsborough. It would be nice to continue our winning ways though and get our second double of the season on the board next Saturday to remain strong automatic promotion contenders.

Team Sheet

Ben Mee once again missed out with a thigh problem but Michael Duff returned to the starting eleven with Kevin Long stepping down and back on the bench. Michael Kightly was also back in the eighteen on the bench following a minor knee injury. New striker, Ashley Barnes who signed from Brighton on Friday also made the bench with Clarets fans eager to see him make his debut at some point. In summary then we lined up as follows:

Heaton, Lafferty, Shackell, Duff, Trippier, Treacy, Marney, Jones, Arfield, Ings, Vokes

Subs: Cisak, Stock, Long, Edgar, Stanislas, Kightly, Barnes

Full Match Report

The horrendous floods in the South West recently coupled with the fact that the away end at Huish is uncovered was to say the least causing some concern ahead of this clash but the 1,705 Clarets fans who made the long journey down need not have worried. It was bright, glorious sunshine down in Somerset and it wasn`t umbrellas that were required but sunglasses with the bright yellow blob shining right in the visiting fans faces for most of the game! Staffordshire referee, Steve Martin got the game underway, his first involving the Clarets .Yeovil have tended to play better in the first half this season and drop off in the second half, the complete opposite to the Clarets so something would have to give in this one! Burnley really need to start better in the first half of games but once again they looked slightly nervous in the first few minutes against Yeovil with the hosts putting in a spirited start aided by their somewhat bobbly, sticky surface of a pitch. The Clarets were soon in their stride though. Ings picking up a cross from Trippier swivelled with his back to goal only to see his shot finish up on the roof of the net. The pitch was taking its effect with the game being a somewhat scrappy affair during the first 20 minutes but that would soon change with Burnley taking the lead in the 20th minute. It all started when David Jones made amends for a misdirected header by winning the ball back. The midfielder neatly fed Ings who turned to shoot from 25 yards out. Yeovil keeper, Marek Stech stood no chance as the ball whizzed past him into the back of the net to give the Clarets a 1-0 lead in stunning fashion. The lead was nearly doubled just past the half-hour mark. Jones was once again involved, this time finding Scott Arfield who rolled the ball back to Ings The England Under 21 international striker tried to cushion a side footed shot home from distance but this time though the ball flew just over the bar. The Clarets by now were comfortably in control with the home side having little answer to Burnley`s dominance. Three minutes from time that elusive second goal nearly came the Clarets way after a first-time cross from Treacy over on the right flank. Sam Vokes though just failed to make enough contact with his head and Stech was able to save. The Clarets had to be content with a 1-0 lead at half-time but it had been a good performance against the struggling hosts.

Dyche had no need to make any changes for the start of the second half and they continued where they had left of, in control putting the home side immediately on the back foot. Their positive play nearly gave them a two goal lead in the 50th minute. Treacy who had been brought down 25 yards out took the free kick himself bringing out a fine save from Stech who had to dive low to his right. The Clarets defence had hardy been troubled in the first 60 minutes of play but Michael Duff, celebrating his 36th birthday, had to come to the visitors` rescue just before the hour mark to deny Joel Grant. Grant spinning on the penalty spot unleashed a shot on target until Duff intervened to dive in and deflect the ball away for a corner. Relentless Burnley though came back again strongly. A shot from Arfield was too straight and it flew at the keeper before another trademark cross from Trippier down the right nearly set up Vokes. The Welshman`s shot though clipped the outside of the post and the hosts survived yet again! It was the Glovers turn next to hit the woodwork when the impressive-looking Grant rose unmarked to meet a cross from Luke Ayling. Thankfully though he headed against the top of the bar and the Clarets kept their noses in front. A second goal would bring much needed relief for Clarets fans and finally it came just past the hour mark. Marney pounced after a slip by former Clarets loanee, Shane Duffy. Some neat approach work between Marney and Ings led to the midfielder squaring the ball across goal where Sam Vokes was ready to pounce to simply tap the ball home and give the Clarets some much needed breathing space. Vokes, nursing a bandaged wrist nearly made it 3-0 soon after once again linking well with Ings before this time unleashing a half-volley that whizzed towards target. Stech though was equal to it and managed to pull off a good save. The Glovers keeper, a former trialist at Turf Moor was keeping the home side in the game and he came to their rescue again this time denying Ings after the former Bournemouth striker had attempted to loop the ball home with his head. Heaton who had been virtually a spectator in the second half made his first save of the afternoon 13 minutes from time. A powerful header from Joseph Ralls twelve yards out looked to be on target until Heaton got his fingertips to the ball to tip it over the bar. Back came the Clarets though and it was a cross from the impressive Dean Marney that nearly made it game over for the Glovers. Sam Vokes got on the end of it but his header flew inches wide of target. Burnley never make things easy for their fans though and the bum squeaks returned when the Glovers pulled a goal back with still ten minutes left on the clock. A cross from substitute, Keiffer Moore to the far post confused everybody and the ball finished up in the back of the net to give the home fans some hope. With two minutes to go, on came Ashley Barnes to make his Clarets debut after replacing Ings but he had little time to make an impression with the clock ticking down and the Glovers trying to do everything they could to find the equaliser. Five minutes of added time were announced by the fourth official but the Clarets held on without any further scary moments to earn their first double of the season and their seventh away win on the road.

Match Stats

Yeovil Town: Stech, Ayling, Duffy, Webster, Davis, Dawson (Moore – 61), Lundstram (Upson – 67), Edwards, Ralls, Hayter (Morgan – 74), Grant.

Subs Not Used: Dunn, McAllister, Foley, Lanzoni

Goals: Moore 80

Booked: Yellow Card for Ralls (64)

Burnley: Heaton, Lafferty, Shackell, Duff, Trippier, Treacy (Stanislas-73), Marney, Jones, Arfield, Ings (Barnes-88), Vokes

Subs Not Used: Cisak, Stock, Long, Edgar, Kightly

Goals: Ings 19, Vokes 62

Booked: 0

Possession: 56% Yeovil, 44% Burnley (Source: BBC Sport)

Referee: Stephen Martin (Staffordshire)


4 Replies to “Burnley in charge down in Yeovil”

  • Yep very pleasing performance and result this! Just wish I could have been there The Rams defeat to Leicester could also turn out to be a blessing in disguise!

  • Well done Clarets, a good performance on a glue pot of a pitch (copyright Barnsey), with us looking like winning with ease until a lucky goal gave them belief and we had a hairy last few minutes. We weren’t at it for the full 90 but when we stepped it up they started to fold and couldn’t live with us, the second goal being a good example.

  • A double rarity this. First, I actually managed to predict the correct score and second this was a game where every player put in a good performance. It was a bit hairy at the end but as we have often said, a 2-0 lead can often seem more dangerous than 1-0. However, the team stood firm at 2-1 down and the three points were well deserved. I thought Keef had one of his best games yesterday but Dean Marney stood out – what a game he had. A word too for Yeovil who have done tremendously well to reach the second tier so quickly. The ground still has a bit of a non-league feel about it but compared to some of the characterless ‘arenas’ we have been to recently it was great to spend an afternoon at a more old-fashioned ground. Let’s hope they can stay up.

Comments are closed.