Date: 13th August 2008 at 10:32am
Written by:

The Clarets got back to winning ways last night (albeit against League 2 opposition) defeating Bury 2-0 in the first round of the Carling Cup. A goal just before the end of each half by hotshot Martin Paterson ensured the Clarets would be in the hat for the second round to be played on the night of Tuesday 26th August.

This was a much better performance by the Clarets (especially in defence) following that awful 4-1 drubbing at Hillsborough last Saturday and should give the team some confidence when they face somewhat stronger opposition against Ipswich on Saturday at Turf Moor.

You can never really win in games when you play lower league opposition. They are usually just a banana skin waiting to happen. Bury to their credit put the Clarets under pressure in the first 15 minutes of the first half and they fought well in the second half trying to get the equaliser. A double save by Jensen probably kept us in the game although in truth we looked comfortable for most of the match. It did however come as some relief when Paterson ensured victory in the last minute of the match with the second of his brace.

Bury were definitely up for this match and had not lost at home since February but in the end the Clarets class shone through.

Coyle made three changes from the starting eleven that faced Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship opener last Saturday and for the first time, we were allowed to name seven substitutes under the new Carling Cup rules. Diego Penny was dropped in favour of Brian Jensen. Penny let in four goals on Saturday although he probably was not at fault for any of them after being let down badly by the back four. Coyle though may have thought his confidence had been shattered and it was time to give Jensen another go.

Kalvenes replaced Duff while Gudjonsson came in for Van der Schaaf.

With Clarke Carlisle sitting out the second of his two match ban, Jordan partnered Caldwell in central defence and it was good to see Coyle put faith in his captain after a number of poor performances by Caldwell.

The team lined up as follows therefore:

Jensen, Alexander, Jordan, Caldwell, Kalvenes, Elliott, Gudjonsson, McCann, Blake, Eagles, Paterson.

Subs: Penny, Duff, K McDonald, Akinbiyi, Mahon, van der Schaaf, A MacDonald

Referee, Scott Mathieson, got the match underway.

The Clarets were out of the blocks first and in the third minute, Eagles came close with a header that was just over after combining well with Elliott.

Bury however then started to put the Clarets under some pressure and Jordan came to the rescue to snuff out a dangerous ball in the Burnley box in the 10th minute. A few moments later Jensen saved from Stephen Dawson fisting away his 18 yard drive and then getting to Elliott Bennett`s long range shot tipping the ball over the bar.

It was the Shakers in the first 15 minutes who were doing all the pressing but the Clarets held firm and soaked up the pressure. Gudjonsson came close from a free kick on 15 minutes, the swerving ball dipped just over the bar and two minutes later the Shakers fans were relieved to see an attempted cross by Paterson following an Eagles break hit the bar with the keeper beaten.

Midway through the first half, Eagles and Paterson combined again. The clever one-two found Eagles with the ball just inside the box but his shot was a few yards wide. Chris Eagles however was in the thick of things and seemed to be enjoying his wider role no doubt trying to impress his former Manchester United colleagues, Ryan Giggs and Gary Neville who were watching the match.

By now the Clarets were doing most of the pressing and looked the most likely to break the deadlock with a goal.

What looked a clear hand ball by Sodje in the area with Eagles again on the warpath was missed completely by the referee with no penalty awarded.

Blake from 45 yards then spotted the keeper off his line on 30 minutes and tried to lob over him but it went just over the bar.

Six minutes later, Blake from a more modest 25 yards out saw his shot skim wide

Blake spotted another opportunity nine minutes before the break, this time trying his luck from 25 yards and seeing his fierce drive fly wide off the wet turf.

In the 40th minute however, the deadlock was finally broken after some nice work between Elliott and Eagles. Eagles on the left saw the overlapping Kalvenes and the Norwegian got in a perfect deep cross to the far post with Paterson charging in to score.

The Clarets fans thought it was 2-0 a few seconds later after Blake picked up the ball following a McCann attempt. Spinning round and shooting he found the bottom corner of the net but was adjudged to be offside.

1-0 at half-time with the Clarets now firmly in control after the early pressure from Bury had evaporated.

Owen Coyle made no changes for the start of the second half as the sides came out to a downpour and gloomy skies.

It was Bury who were now looking determined to get the equaliser and put the Clarets under pressure. Dawson after just 46 minutes turned to shoot with the ball skidding on the wet pitch but his shot went wide with Jensen at full stretch.

Caldwell was on the ball after 55 minutes getting in a good interception with Jensen then saving easily from Bennett.

The Beast after 60 minutes of play then made a superb double save to deny Bury the equaliser. He first saved from Bishop with his legs and then quickly getting up, made a flying save to deny Bishop again.

Blake was replaced by Mahon as Bury continued to look threatening.

With eight minutes left on the clock though the Clarets nearly made it 2-0. Eagles from 30 yards out turned and shot only to see the ball go inches wide.

Duff and MacDonald replaced Kalvenes and Gudjonsson with a few minutes remaining before Paterson put the game beyond doubt in the 90th minute

Eagles charging forward on the attack once more saw his shot saved by Brown. However Paterson picked up the loose ball to score his second goal of the match and his third in two games.

Burnley: Jensen, Alexander, Jordan, Caldwell, Kalvenes (Duff 84), Elliott, Gudjonsson (K McDonald 85), McCann, Blake (Mahon 68), Eagles, Paterson.

Subs: Penny, Akinbiyi, van der Schaaf, A MacDonald

Bury: Brown, Scott, Buchanan, Futcher, Dawson, Hurst (O Morrell 66), Bishop, Barry-Murphy, Jones, Sodje. Bennett.

Subs: Cresswell, Baker, Racchi, Anane, Belford, Rouse

Referee: Scott Mathieson

Attendance: 4,276 (2,069 Burnley)