Date: 3rd November 2013 at 1:08pm
Written by:

An under par Burnley side found the resilience to fight their way back in the match against Millwall at the New Den on Saturday. The Clarets didn`t seem to be firing on all cylinders and they paid the price finding themselves 2 goals down after just 38 minutes. Sam Vokes though hit back immediately to reduce the arrears on 39 minutes and the Clarets went into the dressing room at half-time trailing 2-1. Ten minutes into the second half the scores when level after the Clarets had a little bit of luck when Michael Kightly’s shot was then touched in by Lowry for an own goal. Burnley looked in a lot better shape in the second half but try as they might they just could not find the winning goal and had to be content with a point in the end. Burnley remain top of the Championship and they now have 33 points from 14 games. Both Leicester and QPR though gained some ground on the Clarets. Leicester convincingly beat Watford 3-0 away to move within a point of the Clarets in second spot. Meanwhile QPR defeated Derby 2-1 at Loftus Road to stay in third spot two points behind Burnley. Promoted teams tend to have some luck during the season and generally pick up points when they are not playing that well. That was certainly the case yesterday and in the end a point was very satisfying considering we were two goals down at one point. The Clarets may have failed to win their eighth consecutive game but you have to go back to the 24th August for the last time we lost a league game. Ten men Burnley lost 2-0 at Brighton that day after keeper Tom Heaton was sent off but since then we have not lost in ten championship games with our only other defeat this season being against Premier League, West Ham at Turf Moor last Tuesday night in the Capital One Cup. The fight back against the Lions on Saturday will hopefully have spurred the lads on and we can return to winning ways in our next game when former Burnley gaffer, Eddie Howe brings his newly promoted Bournemouth team to Turf Moor this Saturday.

Team Sheet

The line-up in the end was pretty predictable. Dyche made four changes to the starting line-up that was knocked out of the Capital One Cup by West Ham in midweek. Michael Duff was back in for Long in the centre of defence.David Jones returned to the starting eleven after sitting out a one match ban against West Ham for a fifth yellow on Tuesday night. Keith Treacy sitting out a one-match ban for a second yellow was replaced by Michael Kightly. On the opposite flank, Stanislas was back on the bench with Scott Arfield fit enough to start after missing out on the last two games with a thigh injury. Dean Marney also suffering with a thigh problem though did not make the eighteen so Edgar made another start. In summary then we lined up as follows :

Heaton, Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee, Kightly, Edgar, Jones, Arfield, Ings, Vokes.

Subs: Cisak, Lafferty, Long, Stock, Hewitt, Stanislas, Noble.

Full Match Report

West Midlands referee, Phil Gibbs got the game underway and the hosts started the brighter of the two teams. Tom Heaton had to dive at full stretch to deny Nicky Bailey following his low drive from distance and then Martin Waghorn saw his shot from the by-line turned behind at the near post by a busy, Heaton. The Clarets could not seem to get in the game with their attacks failing to develop and everybody sensed the home side could take advantage. Our only first real chance came in the 20th minute following a charge by Danny Ings down the right. The England Under 21 international cut into the box before unleashing a shot on target that was denied by a good block from Millwall captain Paul Robinson. Disaster struck though two minutes later when the Clarets went behind for only the second time this season in the Championship. Scott McDonald latched onto a loose ball in the box before unleashing a thunderbolt volley that flew into the back of the net with Heaton given no chance to save it. Almost immediately Burnley came close to finding the equaliser when David Forde felt the full force of a Danny Ings effort from 25 yards out before his gloves did the rest. McDonald was becoming a handful for the Clarets and from one of his deflected shots that resulted in a corner, Millwall doubled their lead! Heaton from the corner punched the ball clear but it fell to Danny Shittu who attempted to drive the ball home. The Burnley keeper might have got to it but it took a lucky deflection off Sam Vokes and finished up in the bottom corner of the net! Things looked bleak now for the Clarets but within a minute things looked a whole lot better! A characteristic cross from Trippier from the right found Edgar at the near post who flicked on with his head. The ball though looped off a defender before falling nicely for an unmarked Vokes to nod home from just six yards out. The Clarets were now back in with a chance as the whistle blew for half-time.

No changes were made by either manager for the start of the second half but within ten minutes from the restart Burnley were level thanks to a bit of luck. A good refereeing decision by Phil Gibbs gave advantage to the Clarets following a foul on Edgar just as he laid the ball off to Ings. Ings passed the ball to Kightly and the winger then cut in from the left before unleashing a shot. The ball took a deflection before Shane Lowry turned it into his own net after charging back to try and defend the danger. The Clarets were now in the ascendency and the shell-shocked home side began to make mistakes giving Burnley every chance of getting the winner. It was a bit of an onslaught now by the Clarets. First Arfield got round the Lions keeper and form a very tight angle chipped the ball across goal. It was just a pity though that no Clarets player was in the right place to convert. In the 65th minute, Arfield was at it again this time finding himself in space on the edge of the box before unleashing a shot that hit the woodwork coming off the inside of the post. Vokes was first to pick up the loose ball and then seemed to be fouled from behind by Bailey but the referee waved play on. The two players involved then seemed to have a go at each other and both picked up a yellow card after play was stopped by the referee. If anybody was going to get the winning goal, it looked certain to be the Clarets at this stage but it just wouldn`t happen for the visitors. Trippier charging down the right flank crossed for Arfield at the far post but his header flew over the bar with the Lions now tamed and in danger of losing their roar. The home side held on though and in the end the Clarets had to be content with a well-earned point.

Match Stats

Millwall: Forde, Smith, Robinson, Shittu, Malone (Lowry 7), Derry (Feeney 57), Bailey, Waghorn (Morison 68), Trotter, Woolford, McDonald.

Subs Not Used: Bywater, Dunne, Easter, Keogh.

Goals: McDonald 23, Shittu 38

Booked: Bailey 66, McDonald 71

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee, Kightly (Stock 84), Edgar, Jones, Arfield, Ings, Vokes.

Subs Not Used: Cisak, Lafferty, Long, Hewitt, Stanislas, Noble.

Goals: Vokes 39, Lowry 55 (og)

Booked: Edgar 62, Vokes 66, Stock 89

Possession: 49% Millwall, 51% Burnley

Ref: Phil Gibbs (West Midlands)


10 Replies to “Clarets Fight Back in Lions` Den”

  • Good day out really in the end! I enjoyed this game although was bricking it after their second goal before Vokes gave back the hope a minute later! Good sign this picking up points despite a relative lacklustre performance! The team have fight in them and spirit [Edited by turfmanphil]

  • Getting points when not playing well is promotion form. Before the game I wold have settled for a point although I predicted a Clarets win.

  • I thought this was a tremendous game of football. Both sides played at terrific pace and there was a real intensity about the match. I agree with TMP that the home side started on top and, in true Dyche style, did not let Burnley have any time on the ball. There was a touch of luck about their second goal but the balance was Kightly’s equaliser which also took a fortunate deflection. All in all this was a fair result and to grab a point after being two down at Millwall is a really positive sign. Those who moan about soulless new stadiums should go to The New Den. It isn’t intimidating in the slightest and Millwall don’t get big crowds these days but, as one, they really try and get on top of the referee and away side. Never mind all the talk about money – yesterday was simply about the football which is exactly as it should be. As Phil says, a great day out.

  • Shows we have a fighting spirit to come back and we could have even nicked it had Arfield’s efforts sneaked in, next up Bournemouth who are inconsistent they will either score a hat full or concede a hat full pretty much like when Eddie was here, I will be pondering my prediction all week I reckon 😉

  • Moved by bouyancy of the ever-even-keeled RT’s report, I have decided to change my pre-season ‘mid-table’ prediction to ‘top 10’.

  • Providing the Board don’t let us down in the January window and we keep all our key players and hopefully supplement the areas where we don’t have enough cover then I don’t see any reason why we can’t get automatic promotion. Who is being negative now?

  • Blimey tmp-what have you been drinking. Don’t see any reason? Leicester and QPR might be reasons? I hope we don’t end up 3rd 20 points above Rovers who sneak into 6th and then beat us at Wembley!

Comments are closed.