Date: 3rd December 2014 at 10:52am
Written by:

Burnley`s undefeated run was extended to four games last night after picking up a crucial point in a 1-1 draw against Newcastle United at Turf Moor. With other Tuesday night results going in Burnley`s favour the point lifted the Clarets out of the drop zone. Burnley now have twelve points from fourteen games and sit fourth from bottom in 17th spot. They now have two more points than bottom club Leicester who suffered a 3-1 home defeat to Liverpool last night. Hull and QPR both have eleven points but the Tigers also have a game in hand and play Everton away tonight knowing that just a point would take them above the Clarets on goal difference. QPR though lost 2-0 away to Swansea setting up a pot-boiler of a six pointer on Saturday when Burnley travel to Loftus Road to play Harry Redknapp`s men. West Brom (14 points), Crystal Palace (14 points) and Stoke (15 points) also lost. These clubs are just above Burnley in the league table and could easily be caught by Burnley being no more than up to three points clear of the Clarets. It certainly looks like the relegation dogfight is now really hotting up with the bottom eight clubs only separated by up to five points. Sunderland too are in the mix in 14th spot with fourteen points having played one game less. Their one game advantage though takes place tonight and it`s a tough one at home to high-flying second placed Manchester City.

It was perhaps disappointing that Burnley could not capture all three points last night against Alan Pardew`s men with the Clarets having to settle for a consecutive 1-1 home draw following their game against Villa at Turf Moor last Saturday. Both these points though could prove valuable and generally they were enough to steal a march on the other clubs at the bottom who suffered a worse fate.

The Clarets had not faced Newcastle at Turf Moor since Saturday 19 March 1983. Mike Phelan and Trevor Steven were in the Burnley team that day whilst Newcastle also had a couple of very famous faces in Kevin Keegan and Chris Waddle. The Clarets came out 1-0 winners and Burnley fans went home happy whistling Bonnie Tyler`s ‘Total Eclipse of the Heart` which topped the charts back then! Would we be whistling this time?

Well it looked promising when Burnley took the lead after George Boyd struck a superb shot from outside the area in the 34th minute to notch up his second goal of the season and give the Clarets a 1-0 half-time lead. Newcastle though found a new lease of life in the second half and before the Clarets could settle down Papiss Cissé latched on to Yoan Gouffran’s flick to level things up in the 48th minute. Both teams then had chances to take the lead but there was no further scoring and in the end both sides had to settle for a point.

Team Sheet

Sean Dyche managing his 100th game for the Clarets made just one change with Scott Arfield replacing Michael Kightly in the starting eleven. Michael Duff continued to be sidelined with a calf injury so once again Michael Keane took his place in the centre of defence to make his second start of the season. We lined up as follows :

Heaton, Trippier, Shackell, Keane, Ward, Boyd, Jones, Marney, Arfield, Barnes, Ings

Subs: Gilks, Mee, Long, Kightly, Wallace, Jutkiewicz, Sordell

Full Match Report

Staffordshire referee, Phil Dowd got the game underway and it took Burnley just eight minutes to create their first real chance. Burnley won the ball back on the half way line to set up a counter attack. Arfield then released Ings who got in behind the defence before unleashing a shot on the turn. Former Accrington keeper, Rob Elliot though managed to punch the ball away. Another shot from Ings from outside the box then later missed the target. Ashley Barnes was slipped through by the lively Ings into the penalty area but his shot curled just over the crossbar as Burnley stepped up a gear seeking an early breakthrough. Newcastle had been somewhat subdued in the opening twenty minutes of the game before Sammy Ameobi had Newcastle`s first shot on goal. Heaton was equal to it though and saved comfortably. The game was coming to life now after a relatively quiet start and on the half-hour mark the visitors created another chance. This time Cissé combined well with Ayoze but Heaton quickly charging off his line managed to smother the Spaniard`s shot. Moments later though Burnley broke the deadlock to lead 1-0! A long ball forward from Trippier was met by Ings and he knocked the ball down straight in the path of George Boyd. Controlling the ball well, the former Hull City winger then unleashed a shot from just outside the box that flew past Elliot into the back of the net. A rattled Newcastle quickly tried to get back on level terms after Cissé and Ayoze linked up well again but this time Trippier cleared the danger. On the stroke of half time Burnley almost doubled their advantage and had they scored it would surely have been a candidate for goal of the season! Some delightful approach play from Arfield and Boyd led to the ball eventually being picked up by Ings who cleverly back heeled it to Jones. The centre midfielder had run into the penalty area from deep before latching onto the ball and letting rip with a shot that flew just inches wide.

Sean Dyche did not make any changes for the start of the second half but Alan Pardew decided he had seen enough in the first half and made two changes for the restart. Steven Taylor and Rémy Cabella both came on and it seemed to do the trick! Within three minutes the Magpies were level. Cabella`s shot was blocked but Daryl Janmaat latched onto the loose ball and crossed it back into the box allowing Cissé to react the quickest following a flick-on from Yoan Gouffran to level things up. Newcastle were now buoyed up and began to put the host under pressure trying to get their noses in front. They were dominant during the first fifteen minutes of the second half winning a number of set pieces. To be honest though, Burnley rarely looked in danger of conceding again and Heaton mopped up most of the attacks. Stephen Ward then had to be stretchered off in the 66th minute which is a worry ahead of the crucial six pointer against QPR at Loftus Road on Saturday. Ben Mee was his replacement. Although scrappy at times the game now opened up with both sides creating chances. Dean Marney tried his luck from distance with seven minutes to go but his effort was off target. Sean Dyche tried one last throw of the dice in the 85th minute bringing on Lukas Jutkiewicz to freshen up the attack but the game was played out without any further goals despite four minutes of added time and the points were shared.

Match Stats

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Shackell, Keane, Ward (Mee – 66), Boyd, Jones, Marney, Arfield, Barnes (Jutkiewicz -85), Ings

Subs Not Used: Gilks, Long, Kightly, Wallace, Sordell

Goals: Boyd 34

Booked: Yellow Cards for Keane (56) and Arfield (90+4)

Newcastle United: Elliot, Janmaat, Williamson (Taylor – 45), Dummett, Haidara, Abeid, Tiote, Gouffran, Perez (Cabella – 45), Ameobi (Riviere-75), Cissé

Subs Not Used: Alnwick, Streete, Anita, Armstrong

Goals: Cissé 48

Booked: Yellow Cards for Williamson (10) and Tiote (79)

Possession: 42% Burnley, 58% Newcastle (Source: BBC Sport)

Referee: Phil Dowd (Staffordshire)

Dyche Deliberation
‘I think the positives are the performance again, particularly in the first half.

‘Other than a really poor goal that we gave them, another good performance from us.

‘There’s some really good signs in what we’re doing and how we’re moving forward.’


2 Replies to “Crucial Point at Home to Newcastle!”

  • Oh well, the point wasn’t too bad with all our relegation rivals messing up and in most cases losing. Gonna be a bum squeaker at Loftus Rd on Saturday now though! Ill be there squeaking!!!

  • Interesting how the game flowed but they didn’t seem to come up with the sort of chances that we did. Not reflected in the stats though.

Comments are closed.