Date: 10th December 2008 at 8:59am
Written by:

The Clarets could only manage a point in last night`s Turf Moor battle against Cardiff City but remain in 4th place whilst extending their unbeaten home run to 13 matches in all competitions.

The 5th place Bluebirds were 2 -1 ahead scoring in the second minute of the second half after Bothroyd`s 26nd minute goal had cancelled out Blake`s earlier opener.

However former Bluebirds striker, Steve Thompson saved the day for the Clarets after he came on from the bench to score our equaliser in the 76th minute.

So two points lost and although this was not a disaster the clubs above us all won and some of the chasing pack including Preston made up ground.

Both Michael Duff and Chris McCann were sidelined for this match but thankfully Clarke Carlisle was available after his one match suspension for a fifth yellow.

Duff suffered a calf strain in the warm-up at Sheffield United on Saturday and was always doubtful while midfielder McCann was suffering from illness and failed to travel over the Pennines last Saturday.

Coyle lined up 4-4-2 and chose to leave former Cardiff player, Steve Thompson on the bench

We therefore lined up as follows

Jensen, Alexander, Carlisle, Caldwell, Jordan, Elliott, McDonald, Gudjonsson, Eagles, Paterson, Blake.

Subs: Penny, Akinbiyi, Thompson, Mahon, MacDonald.

It was the Bluebirds who made the livelier start with Jensen continuing his good form by smothering the ball following a shot by Ledley. Bothroyd nearly broke the deadlock with a shot after 8 minutes but it was the Clarets against the run of play that took the lead five minutes later.

Cardiff started the brighter of the two sides and there was an early chance for Joe Ledley, whose was smothered easily by in-form Brian Jensen.

Paterson turned superbly to shoot and test the Bluebirds keeper, Enckelman who could only parry the ball to Blake. He made no mistake from close range to put the Clarets 1-0 up.

However, the lead was not going to last too long with Cardiff drawing level after 25 minutes of play.

Another parry this time from Jensen after Routledge had sliced through our defence and shot could only find Bothroyd who scored. The first goal from a visiting side at Turf Moor in 488 minutes

Bothroyd was now continuing to be a thorn in the Burnley defence and the former Rovers player tried another shot on 39 minutes only to see the ball blocked with Cardiff now looking the most likely to take the lead.

The Curse of the Referee came back to haunt the Clarets as the game entered first half-injury time. Routledge clearly had a go at Caldwell after the Clarets captain had fouled him but instead of the referee, Colin Webster sending the player off for kicking-out, he simply gave both players a yellow card much to the disapproval of the Clarets fans.

Their anger was going to get even worse when the winger put the visitors ahead within two minutes of the second half starting.

Jensen had saved from Bothroyd but the loose ball in the box was snapped up by Routledge to score and give Cardiff a 2-1 lead.

The Clarets now tried to get back in the game and began to put some pressure on the visitors. Enckelman had to be on his guard on 51 minutes after being tested by an Eagles shot from the edge of the box.

The game was now becoming a thrilling end to end affair.

Coyle decided though it was time to change things round after 57 minutes. With Elliott failing to make an impression it was time to replace him with Thompson and see if the striker could put some pressure on his former tem mates.

He certainly did that and was about to score only his second goal for the Clarets this season and what an important one it was.

A cross by Eagles on 75 minutes found Blake whose shot was tipped onto the post by Enckelman. The ball fell to Thompson who from close range made no mistake to make the score 2-2.

It was Thompson again with seven minutes remaining who could have got a second goal but he put his header at the far post just wide following an excellent cross by Eagles.

It wasn`t to be though and the Clarets had to be content with a point but at least their home record was still intact. You have to go back to the Ipswich game in August for the last time we were defeated at home.

Nevertheless this was a below par performance from the Clarets and a disappointing result. The performance and result also soured slightly the night for Jimmy McIlroy. Jimmy Mac had enjoyed receiving the Freedom of the Borough on the pitch at half-time after an earlier ceremony in the town and would have preferred a better outcome.

Oh well time to put this one behind us. Let`s hope we can get back on track this Saturday when we have another home match this time against Southampton.


Burnley: Jensen, Alexander, Carlisle, Caldwell, Jordan, Elliott (Thompson 57), McDonald (Mahon 71), Gudjonsson, Eagles, Paterson, Blake.

Subs Not Used: Penny, Akinbiyi, MacDonald.

Booked: Caldwell

Goals: Blake 14, Thompson 76.

Cardiff: Enckelman, McNaughton, Gyepes, Roger Johnson, Kennedy, Routledge, Ledley, Rae, Parry (Comminges 90), Chopra, Bothroyd (Eddie Johnson 73).

Subs Not Used: Heaton, Purse, Scimeca.

Booked: Routledge.

Goals: Bothroyd 26, Routledge 47.

Ref: Colin Webster (Tyne & Wear).