Date: 28th October 2013 at 10:57am
Written by:

The Clarets march on after a stunning 2-0 victory over second-placed QPR at Turf Moor on Saturday to remain top of the league and notch up their seventh straight league win. This was no mean achievement considering Harry Redknapp`s men had not lost a Championship game all season. The win sees the Clarets cruise through the 30 point barrier after just 13 games. They now have 32 points, three clear of new second placed club Leicester. The Foxes beat Bournemouth 2-1 on Saturday to leapfrog QPR who are now five points adrift of top spot albeit with a game in hand. Clarets fans left Turf Moor after the final whistle on Saturday with a warm glow listening to chants of ‘We are Top of the League, We are Top of the League` echoing around the ground. We had just beaten a club financed to the hilt and one with a huge squad full of big names, including one Charlie Austin who was basically ineffective throughout the game after being contained by our back four. If this was a battle of the strikers, past and present than the Danny Ings/Sam Vokes combo was definitely more effective than the lacklustre Austin. Ings certainly won the day with his brace of goals. The England Under 21 international broke the deadlock in the 65th minute after playing a one-two with strike partner, Sam Vokes to shoot past Rs keeper, Rob Green before sealing the game for the Clarets from the penalty spot in the 88th minute. Ings has now scored 13 goals so far this season and with his strike partner, Sam Vokes they have now notched up twenty goals between them. These are certainly incredible, exciting times and this victory will have convinced many pundits we mean business this season despite nobody giving us a chance at the start of the season. Let`s keep this going, push on through Christmas and the January window and remain a force to be reckoned with.

Team Sheet

Sean Dyche was forced into making one change to the starting eleven after Scott Arfield pulled-up in training on Friday with a groin strain. Keith Treacy replaced him to make his first start since the Capital One Cup game at home to Forest last month. The line-up then was as follows:

Heaton, Mee, Duff, Shackell, Trippier, Treacy, Marney, Jones, Kightly, Vokes, Ings.

Subs : Cisak, Lafferty, Long, Edgar, Stock, Noble, Stanislas,

Full Match Report

London-born referee, Andy Haines was a late replacement for the injured Simon Hooper in this clash and he got the game underway on a pleasant enough day in Burnley. It was the visitors though who put the Clarets under some early pressure. The Rs were having the lion`s share of possession in these early exchanges and nearly broke the deadlock as early as the sixth minute. Karl Henry drilled an effort on target but thankfully Heaton was in the right place to block on the line. Burnley`s first real attack came a few minutes later and what a sterling effort it was from Keith Treacy. The former Rovers and Preston winger charged forward fully 60 yards to enter the box before being challenged at the last moment to deny him the breakthrough goal. The visitors then nearly gifted the Clarets a goal following a defensive blunder by Henry after latching onto Green`s goal kick. He released the ball directly into the path of Ings and Green had to come to the rescue by diving at his feet. Burnley were then awarded a free-kick from 30 yards out and Trippier decided to take it. The powerful shot caused all sorts of problems for the former England international keeper and he fumbled the ball but Richard Dunne was on hand to clear the ball with a header over his own bar. The game was now developing into an exciting spectacle with both sides going hell-for-leather. Rangers were however becoming somewhat physical to try and thwart the Clarets advances and there was a flurry of yellow cards shown at the visitors following blatant fouls and Burnley too didn`t escape with Jones and Treacy also picking up a booking. The game sadly petered out a bit though towards the end of the first half and became somewhat scrappy. Joey Barton tried a distance shot but it came to nothing and the half came to a close in stalemate.

Neither side made any changes for the start of the second-half and this time it was the Clarets who started the half the brighter of the two teams. Kightly attempted a low drive after cutting in from the left wing only to see the ball take a deflection and fly wide of target. A trademark characteristic cross from Trippier in the 55th minute caused panic in the QPR defence after the ball flew deep into the box with Vokes getting to it first to head the ball into the path of Marney. Assou-Ekotto though was in the right place to get in a vital toe-poke and deny the midfielder. In the 66th minute though, Clarets fans went wild with ecstasy when Burnley finally broke the deadlock. In a superb one-two, Ings fed Vokes and finding space after charging forward the Welshman returned the favour with a brilliant reverse pass. Composing himself, Ings made no mistake and thumped the ball past Green to put the Clarets 1-0 up. The visitors responded immediately and nearly equalised after Clint Hill rose up to head a deep free-kick across the six-yard box to find Richard Dunne. Thankfully though the central defender could only sky the ball and the danger passed. In the 75th minute, Burnley came close to doubling their lead when Treacy crossed over a ball into the danger area only for Ings at full stretch to just fail to make contact. Turf Moor erupted though in the 88th minute when the Clarets were awarded a penalty after Barton upended Ings in the area. Up stepped Ings himself to take the penalty kick and he made no mistake from the spot sending Green the wrong way and thumping the ball home to secure all three points for the Clarets. What a season! Let`s hope the slaying of London clubs can continue in the next two games! We play Premier League, West Ham in the last sixteen of the Capital One Cup at Turf Moor on Tuesday night before travelling down to South Bermondsey on Saturday for our Championship clash against Millwall in the New Den. Bring ’em on!!

Match Stats

Burnley: Heaton, Mee, Duff, Shackell, Trippier, Treacy (Stock 93), Marney (Edgar 84), Jones, Kightly, Vokes, Ings.

Subs Not Used: Cisak, Lafferty, Noble, Stanislas, Long

Goals: Ings 65, 88 (pen)

Booked: Jones 33, Treacy 44

QPR: Green, Simpson, Dunne, Hill, Barton, Kranjcar (Phillips 73), Henry (Jenas 68), Hoilett, O`Neill (Chevanton 73), Assou-Ekotto, Austin

Subs Not Used; Traore, Onyewu, Murphy, Faurlin

Booked: Barton 26, Hoilett 37, Dunne 39, Simpson 77

Possession: 39% Burnley, 61% QPR (Source: BBC Sport)

Ref: Andy Haines (Sunderland)


3 Replies to “Ings Just Got Even Better for Burnley!”

  • Anybody else still keep pinching themselves? Amazing goal difference too! Plus 17 we are, nearest is 7th placed Watford on plus 10!

  • Nothing short of amazing, I have friends from out of town that are starting to look out for the Burnley score knowing that I support them, that’s what success brings and people take notice, long may it continue and spread.

  • Very impressive from back to front. The first goal was wonderful link up play. Long may it continue.

Comments are closed.