Date: 3rd July 2008 at 12:32pm
Written by:

NEWSPAPER reports claimed that Celtic striker Derek Riordan was on the verge of signing for Burnley after the Turf Moor club had a bid accepted for the Scottish frontman.

But Owen Coyle denied the reports claiming that he hadn’t spoke to them since January when he saw a £400,000 bid turned down by the Celtic Park outfit.

Then Thursday came and it has been an exact repeat, the Daily Mirror claimed that Burnley had bid again for the front man again claiming a £400,000 offer had gone in, when yesterday’s reports said that a £750,000 one had been lodged.

But again Burnley gaffer Coyle has come out and denied the reports whilst speaking to the Lancashire Telegraph this morning:

“The last conversation I had with Celtic was probably over three weeks ago when they were on for Kyle Lafferty and obviously Derek Riordan was mentioned within that. But I`ve not spoken to Celtic since,” said the Clarets boss, who had a £400,000 offer rejected in the New Year.

“Whether people are jumping the gun, I don`t know.

“There`s not any secret that I`ve always been an admirer of Derek Riordan because I`ve seen him come through as a young kid and I think he`s a talented player.

“But it`s like anything else, if you can`t agree a price, or whatever you want, then it`s all hypothetical.

“But I haven`t spoken to Celtic since Kyle went to Rangers, so there`s nothing new to add on that.”