Date: 25th November 2012 at 11:17am
Written by:

Burnley, very much against the odds bearing in mind Hull City`s recent form, once again came away victorious from the KC this time securing a 1-0 victory to give Sean Dyche his first away win as Burnley gaffer. Hull fans must be sick and tired of games against the Clarets! They have now seen seven defeats in a row, four of them in successive games on their home soil in the KC Stadium.. There were a few ironies too in this victory. Dean Marney scored the goal against his former club and he is not renowned for his goal scoring prowess! He only managed to score nine times in his four years on Hull`s books and has only found the back of the net once for the Clarets since February 2011. The only downer that spoilt Marney`s party was the fact he picked up a late yellow card in added time, his fifth of the season meaning he now faces an automatic one match ban against Barnsley at Oakwell on Tuesday night. At least though he will now be fully refreshed and raring to go in the local derby against Rovers next Sunday! Talking of Rovers, they helped make it a perfect day for the Clarets on Saturday after losing 2-0 to Millwall at Ewood Park. Our win and their loss means we are now just two points behind them and remarkably just three points off the play offs. The Clarets are currently 13th on 26 points from 18 games with Millwall now in 6th spot on 29 points! Depending on the results in midweek, the Clarets could be above Rovers by the time they face them at Turf Moor setting up an even more intriguing battle.

The result against Hull also produced another irony bearing in mind we won without Charlie Austin getting on the score sheet. That had not happened since we played Forest in January last season.

Hull had been looking for their fourth consecutive win on home soil and their seventh win in nine games ahead of this clash so it looked like a uphill battle to return once again with a victory against a side riding high in 4th spot in good form. The KC Stadium though once again jinxed the home side and despite the fact Hull threw everything at the Clarets in the second half, Burnley held on to give Sean Dyche three wins out of five games and more importantly his third clean sheet. If you want the classic definition of a game of two halves this match was the perfect example. Burnley completely dominated the first half and were unlucky not to go into the dressing room about 3-0 up at half-time! Instead they had to settle for a 1-0 lead following Marney`s goal five minutes before the break. It was obvious Steve Bruce would now have to try different tactics to try and break down a solid looking Burnley defence and he tried everything in the second half without success. A combination of Burnley`s resilience in defence and wayward shooting from the Hull attack conspired to deny the Tigers any joy against the Clarets but it was certainly a relief when the final whistle went with Burnley under the cosh for most of the second half. This victory could be the turning point and it is probably our finest achievement this season. We should go into the game against struggling Barnsley on Tuesday night brimming with confidence and we shall have to hope that Oakwell is for once kind to the Clarets. It is funny how some clubs have bogey teams and grounds. Hull clearly have a problem against the Clarets and Burnley love playing in the KC. Now we go to our bogey ground, Oakwell, a place where we have won only once since the 1930s! At least that victory was in recent times when Brian Laws found the winning formula to beat the Tykes 2-1 on Boxing Day 2010. If Burnley can get a second successive away win on the trot on Tuesday night and Blackburn drop points at home to Bolton on Wednesday night, what a fillip that would be ahead of Sunday`s clash against the owd enemy!

Team Sheet

The main concern for Sean Dyche ahead of this clash was who would replace Kieran Trippier at right-back. Trippier was sitting out a one-match suspension following his sending off for a controversial handball on the line last Saturday against Charlton. In the end David Edgar was given the nod ahead of recognised right-back, Luke O`Neill. Edgar has played regularly for Canada in that position so it wasn`t a complete shock to see him in that position rather than his usual centre of defence. Ross Wallace returned straight into the starting eleven after completing a one-match ban for a fifth yellow card with Junior Stanislas being dropped back to the bench. Danny Lafferty also had to be content with a place on the bench after deputising at left back for Ben Mee in the last two games. Mee was now back in the starting line-up after recovering from the foot injury that had kept him sidelined against Ipswich and Charlton. The full line-up then was as follows :

Grant, Edgar, Shackell, Duff, Mee, Stock, Marney, McCann, Wallace, Paterson Austin

Subs: Jensen, Lafferty, O’Neill, Bartley, Stanislas, Ings, Vokes

The Full Match Report

Lincoln referee Gary Sutton got the match underway. Burnley lined up in their 4-1-4-1 formation with Brian Stock in the anchor role. Sean Dyche has played this formation in all his games so far so it came as no surprise to see it again. Hull City also started in their preferred recent formation of 3-4-1-2 no doubt hoping to catch Burnley out on the break; a weakness that the Clarets seem to be prone to and one that Steve Bruce was no doubt fully aware of. Burnley were out of the blocks first though soon testing Hull`s new on loan keeper, David Stockdale. Stockdale, making his debut for the Tigers had only just arrived from Fulham in midweek and was thrown in the deep end despite not having played many games so far this season for the Cottagers. He made a nervous start too dropping the ball a couple of times and looking hesitant. Ross Wallace tested the keeper after five minutes with a long-range effort and a poor parry by the keeper nearly let in Austin. Paterson then pounced on a mistake by Seyo Olofinjana but could only curl his effort wide of target. Keeping the pressure up, Pato then had another attempt on goal which took a deflection. Stockdale needed two attempts to save the danger and was looking far from confident.

The Clarets looked in complete control with the defence hardly troubled in the first fifteen minutes. Clearly frustrating the home fans, Burnley had so many chances to get their noses in front but just couldn`t make the pressure count as the half-hour mark approached. Wallace in particular was wreaking havoc and the whole team was keeping the Tigers at bay not allowing them to settle. Shackell should perhaps have done better from a corner with a volley attempt but the Clarets kept up the pressure. Wallace unleashed another long-range effort but this time Stockdale began to earn his worth managing to get his fingertips to the ball at full stretch and tipping it onto the crossbar. Hull had done very little so far and just as they began to look a little more settled and play their best spell of the half, Burnley took the lead with just five minutes to go to the break. Austin, holding the ball up found Wallace wide on the flank and instead of going it alone the winger cut in playing a net reverse pass to Marney. The former Hull midfielder then unleashed a low shot on the turn back across the Hull keeper and the ball flew into the back of the net to give the Clarets a deserved 1-0 lead. It was nearly 2-0 too before the half came to an end. Chris McCann on a charge from midfield burst forward before unleashing a shot that flew just wide. In the end though despite virtual domination Burnley had to be content with just the one goal lead at half-time and there was always the fear it was never going to be enough!

Hull gaffer, Steve Bruce must have been a worried man at half-time and in desperation made two changes for the start of the second-half as well as changing formation to 4-4-2. It was the start of a battering for the Clarets and we struggled for most of the half creating few chances of our own. At times it was like the Alamo and the Clarets were certainly living on their nerves but somehow in the end we held on for a crucial victory. Hull nearly equalised after just five minutes from the restart. Robert Koren, from a corner put over a low cross but Paterson helping out in defence managed to deflect the ball onto the inside of the post and Burnley could breathe a sigh of relief, one of many in the second-half. Ahmed Elmohamady on the hour mark then picked out Stephen Quinn with a cross but thankfully the winger could only head over the bar from eight yards out. The Clarets simply could not get back in the game and the pressure mounted. A Clarets corner came to nothing and once again we looked vulnerable on the break. With Hull charging forward and the Burnley defence outnumbered 3-to-1 it looked certain the Tigers would equalise. Hull substitute Nick Proschwitz though who had just come on volleyed over the bar with his first touch and the KC hoodoo had jinxed the Tigers once again!

Dyche clearly had to do something to stop the onslaught and a double substitution on 75 minutes saw Vokes and Ings come on to replace Stock and Wallace in an effort to try and provide some fresh, attacking impetus. In a rare Clarets attack, a deep cross from Edgar found Paterson who tried to pull the ball back for Vokes. The Welsh international though couldn`t quite get on the end of it and Clarets fans would have to endure yet more pressure in the final few minutes of the game. The Tigers were now throwing everything at the Clarets making it a nervous last few minutes and it certainly didn`t help when we had to ensure another four minutes of added time. The resilience especially in defence was breathtaking though with Burnley able to block all Hull`s efforts and when the final whistle went it was relief all round but at least now all Clarets fans could celebrate another fantastic victory in the KC Stadium.

Match Stats

Hull City: Stockdale, Rosenior (Proschwitz – 69), Chester, Bruce (Meyler – 46), Koren, Olofinjana (Brady – 46), Faye, Aluko, Elmohamady, Quinn, Simpson

Subs Not Used: Jakupovic, McKenna, Evans, Mclean

Booked: 0

Burnley: Grant, Edgar, Duff, Shackell, Mee, Stock (Vokes – 75), McCann, Wallace (Ings – 75), Marney, Paterson, Austin (Bartley – 89)

Subs Not Used: Jensen, Lafferty, O’Neill, Stanislas

Goal: Marney 40

Booked: Yellow Cards for Austin (40 mins), McCann (71 mins), Paterson (90 + 3 mins) and Marney (90 + 4 mins)

Possession: 50% Hull City, 50% Burnley (Source: BBC Sport)

Ref: Gary Sutton (Lincoln)


4 Replies to “KC and The Sunshine Band of Clarets!”

  • What a great day! Difficult to imagine we are now just three points off the play-offs with the same set of players that looked to be failing dismally under Eddie Howe especially in defence

  • Great day. We all came away with that feel good factor. and 3 points. The Ref had a good game as well.

  • Stats do not tell everything but do mean something. 50/50 possession, Clarets more attempts on goal, more on target and most corners. Also more fouls and yellow cards which could mean more determination. Well done Sean and the lads, they do seem to have turned things round defensively.

  • This is the first one I have missed under Dyche, have chosen Barnsley instead. Great to hear we have defended s resolutely and have performed with such organisation. Ross Wallace running rings round the Hull defence TMP?, a strange concept.
    Its weird now I’m guarded about wanting us to beat Barnsley as surely we can’t win three in a week, can we?

Comments are closed.