Date: 11th November 2013 at 5:30pm
Written by:

In an entertaining, open game at Turf Moor on Saturday, Burnley came from behind to grab a well-earned point against Eddie Howe`s Bournemouth after a late equalising goal from former Cherries striker, Danny Ings. It only looked a matter of time before Burnley would take the lead against the Cherries following a Clarets-dominated goalless first half, but Bournemouth against the run of play got their noses in front in the 50th minute after a well taken goal from Tokelo Rantie from 25 yards out. Ings though saved the day six minutes from time with a header from close range to notch up his 14th goal of the season. You could argue that Burnley should really have picked up all three points but in the end we had to settle for a 1-1 draw despite going hell for leather for the winner in the last few minutes of the game. It`s a pity we didn`t pick up all three points because our two nearest rivals also both dropped points and we could have stolen a march on them. Leicester went down 2-0 at home to play-offs chasing Nottingham Forest whilst QPR could only manage a 1-1 draw away to Reading. Nevertheless Burnley remain top of the shop with 34 points now from 15 games. That`s two more points than both Leicester and QPR who are now joint second with the same goal difference. The draw at least also ensured we keep our unbeaten run in the league going with eleven Championship matches now played without defeat. We have a bit of a rest for the international break now but will return in two weeks time to face a tricky game against Forest in the City Ground on Saturday 23rd November. The Saturday after, we are on the road again, making the short journey over the Pennines, to play Huddersfield so to stay top we will probably have to pick up points from both these games.

Team Sheet

Sean Dyche made just one change to the starting eleven with Dean Marney returning in midfield after missing the Millwall clash with an ankle injury. He replaced David Edgar who was back on the bench. Keith Treacy back from a one-match suspension following his red card against West Ham in the Capital One Cup was also named on the bench. We lined up in familiar fashion then as follows:

Heaton, Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee, Arfield, Marney, Jones, Kightly, Ings, Vokes

Subs: Cisak, Lafferty, Stock, Long, Edgar, Stanislas, Treacy

Full Match Report

Following a respectful one minute silence and a rendition of the Last Post to commemorate Remembrance Day, Hertfordshire referee, Mick Russell got this game underway. It was a lively atmosphere at Turf Moor too with over 700 Cherries fans having made the long journey north and it was the visitors who took the early initiative nearly scoring in the second minute. Rantie ran through a powerless Burnley defence before unleashing a shot that flew just over the bar. Tom Heaton then had to deal with a deflected dipping shot from Brett Pitman by tipping the ball over the bar. The Clarets though were now getting more involved. Vokes charging through got on the end of a Jones free-kick only to head just over. It was Jones again in the 10th minute this time supplying a superb ball to Kightly on the left flank that nearly set up a Clarets opener. Kightly cutting infield drilled a low shot but it went straight into Cherries keeper`s Lee Camp`s arms. The lively Jones was becoming a handful for the Cherries defence. Jones latched onto a short corner before finding Shackell with an accurate cross. The skipper`s towering header looked to be on target before Pitman at the near post acrobatically cleared the danger. The Clarets were now turning the screw and it only seemed a matter of time before we would draw first blood. Steve Cook got in a very good block to deny Vokes and then Marney unleashed a testing drive from 30 yards out that forced Camp into a nervous looking parry. The loose ball fell to Vokes but he could only put it wide of target. Try as they might the Clarets could not get their noses in front and both sides had to be content with a goalless first half.

No changes were made by either manager for the start of the second half and within five minutes from the restart the visitors took a shock lead. Rantie latched onto a loose ball from fully 25 yards out and with a first-time effort unleashed a thumping shot that was in the back of the net before Heaton had had chance to move! It was time for Burnley to adopt Plan B and freshen the side up. On came Keith Treacy to replace a flagging Kightly on the hour mark and it seemed to have the desired effective almost immediately. Lee Camp had to deal with a Treacy header at the far post by snatching the ball with Vokes ready to pounce. The game was now three quarters over with the Clarets still desperate to find that elusive equaliser. Vokes latched onto an Ings pass and then saw his shot deflected by Eunan O`Kane before Camp got a glove to the ball which then flew off the foot of the post to safety. A few moments later and it looked like we should have got a penalty after Elliott Ward chasing back looked to have brought down Danny Ings from behind on the edge of the box. The referee though was having none of it. Six minutes from time though, Burnley finally got back on level terms. A deep cross from substitute Junior Stanislas who had replaced Arfield in the 75th minute fell to Shackell and he found Ings. The former Cherries striker beat Camp with a neat header in the six yard box after the keeper appeared to hesitate. Burnley were now looking for the winner in the last few minutes of the game and came close when Treacy on the edge of the box latched onto the ball from a free kick to unleash a shot which forced Camp into a flying save. Despite five minutes of stoppage it was not enough for Burnley to find that elusive winner and both sides in the end had to be content with sharing the spoils.

Match Stats

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee, Arfield (Stanislas 75), Marney, Jones, Kightly (Treacy 60), Ings, Vokes

Subs Not Used: Cisak, Lafferty, Stock, Long, Edgar

Goal: Ings 84

Booked: 0

Bournemouth: Camp, Francis, Ward, Cook, Daniels, Grabban, Arter, O`Kane, Pugh, Pitman, Rantie (Thomas 85)

Subs Not Used: Jalal, Elphick, Surman, MacDonald, Hughes, Harte.

Goal: Rantie 50

Booked: Arter 15, O`Kane 71, Daniels 85, Pitman 90 + 2

Possession: 57% Burnley, 43% Bournemouth (Source: BBC Sport)

Ref: Mick Russell (Hertfordshire)


4 Replies to “No Cherries on Top but Burnley Still Top!”

  • At half-time I wasn’t sure we were going to score and after Rantie’s spectacular strike it looked like our second league defeat of the season was on the way. Eventually though Danny Ings bravely stooped to conquer and rescued a point. I thought Bournemouth were a typical Eddie Howe team – lively, energetic but open at the back – and their time wasting tactics certainly frustrated the home crowd. Of course, in the same situation we would have done exactly the same! Nice to see Howe given a decent reception at the start and to observe him quietly thanking all four sides of the stadium at the end too. A decent man, a decent point and a decent game of football. [Edited by Rickers Twickers]

  • From a Bournemouth fan it’s refreshing to read such balanced comments above. We wish you well until the end of the season except for 15 Feb and a potential FA Cup tie.

  • The average position of the teams we have played away is 15th and the highest is 8th (Leeds) so Forest will be a big test

Comments are closed.