Date: 19th August 2007 at 10:16am
Written by:

The Clarets had a disappointing day at Glanford Park losing our first game of the season to new boys, Scunthorpe 2-0. Martin Paterson and Jim Goodwin scored the goals in the second half securing all three points for the Irons despite a promising start for the Clarets.

Steve Cotterill made sweeping changes to the side that defeated Grimsby on penalties in the midweek Carling Cup match.

Nine changes to the starting eleven were made.

Stephen Jordan and Michael Duff were the only two players to retain their place. Kiraly returned in goal despite a creditable performance from Jensen last Tuesday night. As expected there was a debut for new signing, Clarke Carlisle following his move from Watford earlier in the week. He was partnered in central defence by David Unsworth who also made his league debut in the back four and was named as captain.

It is understood that although Caldwell was deemed fit enough to play, the gaffer was taking extra precautions by not naming him in the squad for this match. Duff and Jordan completed the unfamiliar back four.

The fact that the back four had not played together before seemed to be a telling factor in our defeat to follow with a number of misunderstandings in defence being apparent for all to see as the game progressed.

Joey Gudjonsson returned to the midfield and as expected Blake and Gray were the strike pairing. Wade Elliott, would also start making his 300th league appearance.

Burnley therefore lined up as follows:

Kiraly, Duff, Jordan, Carlisle, Unsworth, Harley, McCann, Gudjonsson, Elliott, Blake, Gray

Subs: J O’Connor, Jensen, Akinbiyi, Lafferty, Spicer

A crowd of 6975 fans all supporting a Claret & Blue team therefore waited with anticipation for the referee, Master, sorry Mister Bates to blow his whistle to start the match. Would Scunthorpe achieve their first home win against the proper Clarets in ten attempts? Would the proper Clarets continue their winning streak? 1344 proper Clarets fans were all hoping the answers to those questions would be No and Yes respectively. The proper Clarets decided though it would be best if they played in all white for this match as the game finally got underway

The proper Clarets were also out of the blocks first with a Joey Gudjonsson shot that was just wide and Unsworth nearly scored from a header but he also put it just wide.

Burnley dominated the first 20 minutes of this match which amazingly saw the lads being awarded 5 corners in the first 10 minutes as the sustained pressure on the Scunthorpe goal continued. If only we could have made this pressure count and get a goal in this period, the result could have been all so different but alas it was not to be as Scunthorpe came more and more into the game during the remainder of the first half.

It was not until 30 minutes into the game that Scunthorpe finally proved they had an attack and it even that was due to an uncharacteristic mistake from Gabor Kiraly The keeper on the edge of the area tried to clear a free kick, however Ian Baraclough picked up the loose punch from Kiraly and shot over his head towards an empty net.; an alert Unsworth however was onto it quickly and he cleared it from inside his six-yard box.

Scunthorpe now put the proper Clarets in white under more pressure and we were lucky to go in at half-time 0-0

The second half started badly for the Clarets and we were a goal down within 90 seconds from a free kick. Martin Paterson got onto the cross at the near post and his low shot found the back of the net giving Kiraly no chance.

Blake nearly put the Clarets back on level terms almost immediately but he tried maybe too many touches and it came to nothing.

It was however Scunthorpe who seemed to be making all the running and Steve Cotterill had finally had enough after 57 minutes and tried to change things round with Kyle Lafferty replacing Jon Harley wide on the left.

Elliott found Gray but after chipping the ball, he could only find the hands of the Irons keeper who was running back to try and rescue the situation.

Disaster then struck in the 64th minute as the Clarets found themselves 2-0 down facing an almost impossible task to come back,

Jonathan Forte passed a ball inside to Jim Goodwin, who manoeuvred around Unsworth to slot the ball past Kiraly from 18 yards.

By now it was game over but Steve Cotterill tried to rescue something from the match and brought on Akinbiyi for Elliott after 66 minutes.

Burnley did have a short spell towards the end of the match as the corner count increased to double figures for the proper Clarets. Unsworth saw a header cleared off the line from their 11th corner and Murphy managed to block Duff`s header

Spicer had replaced McCann after 79 minutes but as the game petered out and the final whistle went, it was Scunny who left the pitch victorious fully deserving their three points.

Oh well it wasn`t to be and maybe we just faced the new boys at the wrong time. They were clearly up for this match, trying to prove they could hold their own in the higher flight. We should have made that first 20 minute spell count and the story might have been different. But we didn`t and it was a disappointing day. Kiraly seemed to have a particular off day and communication with the back four seemed to be lacking but that can only get better the more they play together.

Well we had to lose sometime, may as well get it out the system now and hope we can get back to winning ways in the next three relatively easy matches (on paper) against QPR at Turf Moor next Saturday, Oldham ,Tuesday week in the Carling Cup and then Colchester (away) on the following Saturday.


Burnley: Kiraly, Duff, Jordan, Carlisle, Unsworth, Harley (Lafferty 57), McCann (Spicer 79), Gudjonsson, Elliott (Akinbiyi 66), Blake, Gray

Subs: J O’Connor, Jensen

Booked: McCann 76, Jordan 90

Scunthorpe: Murphy, Williams, Crosby, Iriekpen (Butler 24), Byrne, Goodwin, Hayes, Paterson (Taylor 87), Baraclough, Forte (Sparrow 67), Hurst.

Subs: Youga, Lillis

Ref: A Bates

Att: 6,975 (1,334 Burnley)