Date: 21st October 2007 at 11:23am
Written by:

The Clarets came away with a point, which most Clarets fans would probably have taken at the start of this match. However yet again, we failed to capitalise after getting the lead in this match. Andy Gray scored our goal after only 11 minutes but we can`t seem to kill games off when we are ahead, and we never really looked like getting that elusive second goal and it was almost inevitable that the Tykes would equalise, particularly in the second half when they changed tactics and did far more of the pressing. We lasted however till the 71st minute when Barnsley’s Peruvian International, Miguel Mostto side-kicked the ball into the net after it came off the bar. That goal and the final score of 1:1 mean that we remain in 13th place on 14 points but we are still well within shot of the play-off places. The fifth and sixth placed clubs are on 17 points only and we have a game in hand. Although this was a hard fought point, yet again it feels like its two points lost rather than a point gained. We have to keep this in context though, Barnsley are on a flyer at the moment and this is their seventh game without defeat. Oakwell is not exactly a happy hunting ground either. We haven`t won there since April 1932, although there was a huge gap between 1947-1980 when we never even faced each other. Despite the emotions this was a good point at the end of the day and keeps us in contention for a play-offs position.

The first surprise when the teams were announced was that Robbie Blake would not feature. He had picked up a niggling hamstring injury in the last match against Cardiff and the gaffer didn`t want to risk aggravating the problem so rested our star player. This must have been the ‘mystery player` that Steve Cotterill mentioned in his pre-match interviews when discussing injuries. Ade Akinbiyi was therefore given the opportunity to start in this match.

As expected Kyle Lafferty was named on the bench following his emotional and hard fought match for Northern Ireland in midweek when he scored that stunning goal. Chris McCann was named in the starting eleven as predicted.

The Clarets therefore lined up as follows:

Kiraly, Jordan, Caldwell, Carlisle, Alexander, Elliott, Mahon, McCann, Spicer, Gray, Akinbiyi

Subs: J O’Connor, Jensen, Jones, Lafferty, Unsworth

Barnsley of course had our former defender, Steve Foster in their team and he would want to make a point to our gaffer.

The Tykes lined up as follows:

Muller, Foster, Souza, Nyatanga, Werling, Campbell-Ryce, Howard, McCann, Devaney, Mostto, Odejayi.

Subs: Colgan, Kozluk, Togwell, Ricketts, Coulson.

Wiltshire referee, Lee Probert got the Roses match underway and it was the Clarets who were to show the early dominance. Indeed the first half was there for the taking such was our dominance.

An early appeal by Barnsley for a penalty was turned away and soon after the Clarets got on the score sheet in the 11th minute with Andy Gray scoring his eighth goal of the season.

Gray started the move by finding Elliott on the right and his cross could only find Tykes defender, Lewis Nyatanga He attempted a clearance but the ball hit Andy Gray and shot past goalkeeper Heinz Muller to put the Clarets 1-0 up.

Wade Elliott was causing the Tykes defence all sorts of problems and he came close with a 25-yard shot but put it just wide of the post. The Clarets winger then tried a curling shot from the corner of the box which this time went just over the angle.

Our passing game was now pulling the Tykes defence apart and they had no answer. Gray`s shot from a Mahon corner was cleared off the line. Mahon then linked up again with Gray. Mahon`s free kick found the head of Gray but Muller was able to turn the ball round the post.

Barnsley’s attack was invisible until the 37th minute. Dominik Werling tried a long-range power shot but it went straight to Gabor Kiraly.

Two minutes later a free kick from Miguel Mossto on the edge of the box forced an excellent save from the keeper in tracksuit bottoms!

Clarke Carlisle nearly doubled the Clarets lead just before the half-time whistle. He was unmarked as he rose to meet Mahon’s corner but he headed the ball just over the bar. He then quickly had to turn his attention to his normal defensive duties after committing a foul on the edge of his own area. Grant McCann`s resulting free kick nearly found the back of the net but for Carlisle`s quick thinking. The ball went wide of the post after the former Watford player`s intervention.

So the Clarets go in 1-0 up at half-time and in dominant mood.

Barnsley however changed tactics in the second half and started to up the tempo.

After only five minutes from the restart Kiraly pulled off a spectacular save in mid air following a curling shot from Mossto.

The Clarets now seemed to have fewer and fewer attacks as the home side began to dominate. Mahon however tried a volley in one attack but it was just too high.

Lafferty came on after 69 minutes replacing Mahon and got a tremendous reception from the Clarets faithful. 1,583 of them!

Barnsley however finally broke down our defence in the 71st minute following a corner on the left by Howard. Nyatanga at the near post got in a flying header which hit the crossbar, but it went straight to Mossto who made no mistake from a couple of yards out.
Ade Akinbiyi put in a lot of effort during this match for little reward and never looked likely to score. The gaffer tried to spice things up a bit with 5 minutes to go bringing on Jones to have a go at his former team mate, Foster with Akinbiyi making way for the Northern Ireland International.

Nothing much more happened though and as the final whistle blew, 1-1 was probably a fair result


Barnsley: Muller, Foster, Souza, Nyatanga, Werling, Campbell-Ryce (Ricketts 84), Howard, McCann, Devaney, Mostto, Odejayi.

Subs Not Used: Colgan, Kozluk, Togwell, Coulson.

Goals: Mostto 71

Burnley: Kiraly, Alexander, Caldwell, Carlisle, Jordan, Elliott, Spicer, McCann, Mahon (Lafferty 69), Akinbiyi (Jones 85), Gray.

Subs Not Used: Jensen, James O’Connor, Unsworth.

Booked: Caldwell.

Goals: Gray 11.

Ref: Lee Probert (Wiltshire).