Date: 28th April 2009 at 9:16am
Written by:

The Clarets Reserves beat Blackpool Reserves convincingly 4-1 last night with Michael King (below) getting a hat-trick.

The match was a home game played at Accrington’s Crown Ground and the victory meant we would now be crowned Champions of the Central League after news filtered through that Preston had done the Clarets a favour for a change by beating Manchester City. City were the only team that could catch the Clarets but that is no longer possible with Burnley now six points clear and City just one match to play,ironically against the Clarets!

Owen Coyle famously played and scored in a recent reserves game, the goal being captured by Sky Sports but he wasn’t going to feature last night.

It was also interesting to note that none of the first team squad played either, so Coyle is obviously keeping them fresh for our crucial game against Bristol City at Turf Moor this Sunday and hopefully the play-off games to follow.

The team selected last night did however include our five new professionals and we lined up as follows:

Ritchie, Strickland (Manchester United Triallist), Kudiesky, Lynch , McEneaney, Chaggar, Anderson, Harvey, King, Knowles, Fletcher.

Subs: McDonald, Oliver Devenney, Brown, Newman, Taylor

Knowing the final score it was perhaps surprising that the first half remained goalless but the Clarets did have a few chances. Future prospect,Blackpool goalkeeper Mark Halstead denied Burnley taking the lead a number of times.

In the second half though the Clarets came out with all guns blazing and soon found themselves 2-0 up. Chagger beat his man down the right to put over a cross and there was King to shoot home from close range. Moments later it was 2-0. Wes Fletcher scored from the penalty spot after substitute, Lian Newman was brought down in the area.

Blackpool pulled one back with a brilliant effort from distance but that didn’t deter the Clarets who hit back with two futher goals.

Fletcher down the left crossed for King to shoot and score inside the post, his second of the night.

King crowned off the night though by then getting a hat-trick and scoring the best of his three goals after an excellent run by Harvey.

Well done lads, great to see the young guns getting some silverware at long last after the recent disappointment of the LFA Youth Cup final defeat at Deepdale against Preston

Many thanks to Burnley FC for the use of the photograph