Date: 7th August 2012 at 8:47am
Written by:

Both the local and national press are reporting that Blackpool could be about to launch a £4 million bid for Charlie Austin.

Austin was linked recently with a move to money-rich Huddersfield but that all seems to have died a death and most Clarets fans will now be hoping the Blackpool link will die in similar fashion!

Eddie Howe will be hoping ‘Austin Powers’ for Burnley next season rather than become ‘Austin Towers’ and said recently of his striker:

“Like all young players Charlie`s had a first full year at this level last year and I think that will have done him the world of good,” said Howe.

“He had experiences both good and bad with injuries and the goals were obviously a highlight for him. But I think his all-round game is improving all the time.

“It`s his hunger – when he plays well you can see it in him.”

Austin appears to be in top form at the moment. He was the club`s leading league goalscorer with 16 goals last season and has also been hitting the back of the net with some regularity in our pre-season summer friendlies. He has scored four goals in as many matches so far this summer including a brace in our last match last Saturday against Cheltenham at Whaddon Road.

Howe has already lost Jay Rodriguez and although the strikeforce has now been boosted by the arrival of Sam Vokes, the gaffer will be very reluctant to lose another forward of the calibre of Austin and it would also be a bitter blow to Clarets fans who now genuinely are beginning to look forward to the new season ahead following the five new summer signings to date.

So stick the tower up your **** Blackpool!

Join The Vital Debate