Date: 12th July 2009 at 10:36am
Written by:

The News of the World today suggests that the Clarets will have to fork-out double their offer if they want to secure the services of Owls striker, Marcus Tudgay

The player now seems to be in the middle of a tug of war saga between Owen Coyle and Owls gaffer, Brian Laws.

You can perhaps understand Laws bitterness over the approach by Burnley for a player he thought would sign a new three-year contract for the Owls.

Tudgay though has not put pen to paper after verbally agreeing to sign before going on holiday back in May. His agent is adamant that the 26 year old would like to talk to Burnley about a potential move and who can blame him when there is a chance to feature in the top flight of English football.

The striker though has only a year left on his contract and this could force Laws into a corner.

Clarets chairman, Barry Kilby has already made a £1.5 million verbal offer to the Sheffield Wednesday chairman for Marcus Tudgay which was turned down.

The News of the World however now suggests we will have to find £3 million for the Owls star forward and it will be interesting to see if Owen Coyle would be willing to pay that much for him.

Owen Coyle has confirmed though that he is still looking to strengthen his squad ahead of the club’s first Premier League campaign.

He recently told Sky Sports News:

‘We are trying to get one or two in,but other factors need to come together for that. One, the club has to accept there has been a bid and,two, the player has to be willing to join. We will continue, in a sense, to try to complement the squad that we have.’

The Clarets still look keen to sign Hamilton left back,Brian Easton and could be considering a second bid after an initial bid was knocked back.

Another of the Accies players, midfielder James McCarthy continues to be linked with the club despite a recent rival emerging to sign him. Wolves put in double our bid according to the media but so far there has been no movement.

Coyle said towards the end of this week:

‘I spoke to Ronnie McDonald and made a verbal offer about James McCarthy – another kid I’ve known coming through. I think he’s got potential to be a very good player. The kid’s had one year in the Premier League in Scotland, I made a verbal offer to Ronnie on that basis that I thought was fair, with incentives if they’re achieveable for Hamilton as a football club, and Ronnie felt they didn’t match his valuation, and I totally accept that.’

Both Hamilton players it is understood want to come to Turf Moor but the saga for these signings looks likely to continue.