Date: 3rd October 2007 at 9:11pm
Written by:

The Clarets could only manage another draw in last night`s home match against Ipswich, although they did manage to claw their way back from 2-0 down to finish 2-2 thanks to goals by Lafferty after 12 minutes and Gray after 60 minutes. Ipswich were two goals up inside nine minutes with Sylvain Legwinski and former Clarets striker Alan Lee doing the damage. Typical of Lee to score against us, that`s the fifth goal he has now scored against his former club.

This was a great match for the neutral, but at the end of the day, this was still a disappointing result with another two points lost as we notched up our third consecutive League draw at home. We have however shown fighting spirit to come back from one-nil down against Palace and two goals down against Ipswich in our last two matches so that does show some character and determination. The pounding we gave the Suffolk team in the second half could quite easily have secured three points for us but it wasn`t to be and Ipswich always looked dangerous on the break and indeed had a goal disallowed themselves for offside in the second half.

There has however been a worrying trend in the last two matches where our defence appears to have fallen asleep in the first 20-30 minutes of the first half and so it proved again with Ipswich being 2-0 up within 9 minutes of play with Jordan in particular under pressure and continually being beaten by Walters.

The draw however still keeps us within an earshot of the play-off positions in eighth place on 13 points, 7 points behind Watford with a game in hand. Very annoying though, that had we beaten Palace and Ipswich, teams on paper we shouldn`t have struggled against we would now be in third spot and still with a game in hand.

Burnley made only one change to the starting eleven with John Spicer named in midfield. This was Spicer`s first start since April 2006! Alexander returned to his more familiar right back position with Michael Duff out injured (we now know seriously)

Ipswich lined up 4-5-1 with Alan Lee upfront and this seemed to cause all sorts of problems for the Burnley defence in the first 10 minutes of the match

Billy Clarke`s shot after five minutes from the edge of the box was both high and wide of the goal much to the relief of Kiraly.

The visitors though won two quick corners in the first six minutes, the second of which led to their first goal

It was midfielder Legwinski who, unmarked was able to head home at the near post from the corner after only 7 minutes of play. The Clarets fans didn`t even have time really to get over that shock before Ipswich doubled their lead on 9 minutes with Alan Lee heading in Clarke’s cross. This was getting a farce, with Ipswich ripping us apart but thankfully we recovered our composure from somewhere and managed to score ourselves after 12 minutes. Wade Elliott put in a superb cross finding the head of Lafferty and we were back in the game at 1-2.

We now seemed to have a battle on our hands as we tried to find that equaliser. Both sides were now playing end to end stuff with Ipswich probably on balance looking the more dangerous, especially on the break

It was Ipswich again who went close with another corner after 32 minutes. Walters headed towards goal but Gabor Kiraly managed to get to it and tipped it over the bar.

Tommy Miller after 38 minutes powered into the box but Kiraly again handled his shot with confidence.

That was it for the first half, we were lucky to still be in this match

At the start of the second half, Walters down the right continued to be a thorn in the Burnley defence and always looked dangerous getting the better of Jordan far too many times

However despite Ipswich pressure it was the Clarets who finally managed to get an bizarre equaliser after 60 minutes when Gray was put through by Alan Mahon

Town keeper, Neil Alexander raced out of his box and looked certain to rescue the situation but his clearance hit Gray and the ball spun high into the air before dropping into the net. They all count though as Gray notched up his seventh goal of the season

The home fans were now lifting the team and the Clarets turned on the pressure in their best spell of the game so far.

Both Lafferty and Elliott tried long range efforts and came close to scoring soon after the equaliser

In the final 20 minutes of play, the Clarets always looked the most likely to score although Ipswich continued to look dangerous on the break

Lafferty`s point blank header was saved by the Ipswich keeper after 69 minutes

On 76 minutes, Blake put his shot wide following a defensive error

Lafferty then came close twice within a minute bringing a great save from the keeper He then shot over from 12 yards following a resulting cross.

Steve Jones came on after 79 minutes to replace Elliott.

Clarets fans hearts sank though in the 84th minute when it looked like Counago had tapped in following a Walters pass. The Ipswich players were already celebrating but the linesman took ages to raise his flag for offside. The Clarets faithful roared with relief as referee Colin Webster disallowed the goal.

No further action really despite Ade Akinbiyi coming on to replace Lafferty for the final five minutes of play. 2-2 draw it had to be!


Burnley: Kiraly, Alexander, Carlisle, Caldwell, Jordan, Elliott (Jones 79), Spicer, Mahon (O’Connor 89), Lafferty (Akinbiyi 85), Gray, Blake.

Subs Not Used: Jensen, Unsworth.

Booked: Jordan, Mahon.

Goals: Lafferty 11, Gray 60.

Ipswich: Alexander, Wright, Bruce, De Vos, Harding, Miller, Legwinski, Garvan, Walters, Lee, Clarke (Counago 71).

Subs Not Used: Supple, Wilnis, Haynes, Casement.

Booked: Garvan.

Goals: Legwinski 7, Lee 9.

Ref: Colin Webster (Tyne & Wear).