Date: 12th January 2010 at 8:00am
Written by:

Keep coming back to this article today. As news breaks on our managerial targets in the media, Vital Burnley will update you and bring you the latest gossip and rumours.

A lot of our rumoured targets and their current clubs were in denial yesterday making statements that they were happy where they were and had not been approached by Burnley FC.

Most of these were from the lower leagues, typically from the Championship or League 1 and you would be forgiven for singing ‘No one likes us, We dont care’. You have to take their statements with a pinch of salt though as they play out their media club rituals and pretence of loyalty. No ambitious manager worth his salt would surely not be tempted to move up a league or two to manage a Premier League side.

Nevertheless here is what some of them said:

Lee Clark

The current Huddersfield Town manager was a bookies joint favourite at one point with the Lancashire Telegraph saying he had already had an interview at Turf Moor.

The Terriers though have denied any approach by Burnley FC to speak to Clark.

Clark himself said:

‘I can`t really make any comment because there is nothing to comment on. I have had no contact with Burnley, and my focus is on preparing the side for Saturday`s game with Southend.’

Town chairman Dean Hoyle appeared to confirm those comments:

‘Rumours are part and parcel of footbalI but I was very surprised when I heard this one. As far as I`m concerned, there is no truth in it and there hasn’t been any approach from Burnley regarding Lee.’

Sean O’Driscoll

Doncaster Rovers boss Sean O’Driscoll is also reported to be a favourite for the Burnley managerial vacancy.

The Sun actually says the former Bournemouth gaffer is the favourite to become Burnley’s new boss.

Doncaster though are rumoured to have told Burnley FC that they would want around £1million in compensation.

Rovers chairman John Ryan is quoted as saying:

‘We don’t want to lose Sean but should it happen we shall be seeking serious compensation. We’ve not been called ‘the Arsenal of the Championship’ for nothing. That’s down to Sean.’

The Sun also believe O’Driscoll was interviewed by Barry Kilby and director Brendan Flood at the Worsley Marriott Hotel on Sunday.

On the other hand according to Sky Sports O’Driscoll is now believed to be in Lancashire holding talks with the Clarets, They also state that Burnley FC are confident of appointing him as manager.

Sky Sports News also understands that O’Driscoll is also planning to bring in his No.2 Richard O’Kelly who was taking training with Doncaster on Tuesday.

Simon Grayson

We have also been strongly linked with the Leeds manager but once again there were denials of any interest.

‘I’d be flattered [if approached by Burnley] because everyone wants to manage in the Premier League,’ said Grayson.

‘But my ideal scenario is to manage Leeds United in the Premier League and I think over the next few years I think there is a real possibility of us achieving that.

‘You can’t stop speculation and you are flattered when you are linked with jobs in the Premier League.

‘But it has to be the right circumstances and right the club to do that at.

‘Leeds is a fantastic football club and I’m just focused on achieving my targets here and I’m committed to this job.’

Paul Jewell

Jewell was one of the few potential managers who did not rule out interest in the job.

However he seemed to rule himself out by saying the job would be too difficult to take on suggesting the Clarets will find it hard to stay in the Premier League this season.

The former Wigan and Derby manager who is currently out of a job said:

‘Everyone hopes they do stay up, but I think they`re going to find it difficult. And if Burnley go down and don`t start off next season well, the inevitable is going to happen. That`s what happens in football.’

Another manager who hasn’t denied any interest is currently the out of work former Owls boss, Brian Laws.

Brian Laws

According to the Daily Mail today, and this wont make happy reading for most Clarets fans. Burnley are ready to spring a major surprise by naming Brian Laws as their new manager.

They believe quote: ‘Laws and Doncaster boss Sean O`Driscoll were the last two men standing in the race for the job on Monday’ The Sports Mail understand Laws is the preferred choice provided he ties up a compensation deal with Wednesday.

If true this would be seen as a dull and risky choice by most Clarets fans and the fear would be that he could become the new Megson should results start going badly.

The local Lancashire Telegraph also believe this to be the same two-horse race with Kilby and Flood more likely to opt for Laws rather than fork out compensation for O’Driscoll.

“Of course it would interest me,” the 48-year-old Laws told the Lancashire Telegraph when asked about the Clarets’ vacant managerial job.

“I have a great affinity with Burnley, but there’s no more I can say on that.”

Today though we have been linked with a new potential candidate, Watford’s Malky McKay

Malky Mackay

Watford boss Malky Mackay is the latest to be linked with the manager’s job at Burnley.

The Scottish Sun says Mackay is understood to be on the list of potential candidates to replace Owen Coyle.

The paper believes the 37 year old manager meets the profile that Barry Kilby is looking for which they sum up as young,dynamic and cash-conscious.

Mackay though is in is first full managerial role having only taken over in June 2009 following the departure of former Watford manager, Brendan Rodgers. His only other experience was when took over as caretaker manager at Watford in November 2008 following the departure of Aidy Boothroyd a spell which lasted just 5 games before the arrival of Rodgers.

He has though been successful as Watford manager, steadying the ship on a very limited budget. With the club in financial crisis and coming close to going bust at one stage, Mackay has been astute with his signings using little cash and using loans to his advantage. Watford are currently a midtable side within hear shot of the play-off positions.

Whether that would be enough to convince the likes of Kilby and Flood that he could make the step up to the Premier League and ensure the club survive in the top flight with just four months of the season left remains to be seen. The local Watford Observer though confirmed later today that Burnley had made no contact with the club.


Bookmark and Share