Date: 17th September 2008 at 8:21am
Written by:

Cocky Blackpool and their fans came down to sand with a bump last night as the Clarets stormed to a 2-0 victory over their local rivals. This was our first home win since the Barnsley game back in March this year, our second on the bounce and the first Clarets derby win for Owen Coyle.

It could easily have been four or five goals such was the Clarets dominance in this game with Blackpool having just one short lived spell at the start of the second half in which to raise their fans hopes following a goal-less first half.

A goal by Martin Paterson though on 60 minutes killed all their hopes and Alexander made it 2-0 from the penalty spot 16 minutes later.

The victory sees the Clarets go above Blackpool and up seven places to 12th on 8 points from 6 games just two points now from a Top Six spot.

About 3000 Blackpool fans travelled to Turf Moor last night hoping to make it three wins on the trot following their games against Southampton away and Barnsley at home. Thankfully they were to depart with the proverbial local object stuck up their backsides!

Owen Coyle as expected named an unchanged sixteen for the start of this game with Eagles sitting out the second of his three match ban and Jordan preferred to Kalvenes following the latter`s injury in the Plymouth match. Kalvenes returned to training in midweek but maybe Coyle didn`t want to risk the Norwegian defender.

The Clarets therefore lined up as follows:

Jensen, Jordan, Carlisle, Caldwell, Anderson, Alexander, Elliott, McCann, McDonald, Paterson, Thompson

Subs: Penny, Gudjonsson, Mahon, Blake, Akinbiyi

Blackpool had a few recognisable former Clarets faces in their side with Mo Camara in the side and keeper, Paul Rachubka. We could also mention nearly-Claret, Alan Gow on the bench for Blackpool following his loan from Rangers. Gow was supposed to be part of the Lafferty deal until he turned us down, so he was guaranteed a warm welcome (not!) from the Clarets fans last night and he got it (not!)

One noticeable absence from the Blackpool side was loon, Steve Kabba. Probably to the relief of the Clarets fans, the danger man had picked up a dead leg ahead of the game.

Jon Moss (W Yorkshire) was the referee. Clarets fans must have been wondering if we could get our first victory over Blackpool at home, since 1999 as the match got underway and get revenge for last season in which we only got one point from the two encounters.

The Clarets pounced in the first minute as Elliott got the better of Camara (as usual!) and crossed for Thompson to shoot. His shot was however too high and the ball sailed into the away crowd behind the goal.

Former Clarets loan keeper, Paul Rachubka (although he never played for the Clarets) was to then save Blackpool with the first of many on the night after 18 minutes of play. The keeper saved well from a McCann free kick with the Clarets continuing to put the Blackpool defence in all sorts of trouble.

The Clarets thought they had a penalty one minute later as Ian Evatt appeared to handle the ball following a shot by Elliott. The referee however waved play on much to the anger of the Clarets faithful.

It was now the turn of Blackpool to finally and just briefly test the Clarets defence. Jensen though was on the ball (literally) as he collected a deflected shot after 22 minutes from yet another Blackpool loan, the impressive looking Liverpool youngster, Adam Hammill.

Russell Anderson then got in a powerful shot which was deflected wide for a corner.

The Clarets by now were dominating midfield and Rachubka was by far the busier of the two keepers although Blackpool often looked dangerous on the break.

Clarke Carlisle came close with a header from a corner after 32 minutes but again the Tangerines keeper came to their rescue with a good save under pressure.

A Kevin McDonald shot on 40 minutes hit the side netting and that was it for the first half

No changes for the start of the second half by either side and this time it was Blackpool who looked the more determined to get the breakthrough putting the Clarets under pressure for the first fifteen minutes of the half.

After 53 minutes Jensen saved well from Gary Taylor-Fletcher after he collected a flicked-on ball from a Blackpool free kick.

It was however a relief for Clarets fans when seven minutes later, slightly against the run of play it was the Clarets who took the lead to break the deadlock.

Elliott on one of his mazy runs found Paterson on the edge of the area. His powerful shot curled past Rachubka to put the Clarets 1-0 up after 60 minutes play.

The Clarets now embarked on virtually complete dominance for the rest of the match with Paterson in particular buoyed up by his goal and Elliott making mincemeat of the Blackpool defence.

It was Alexander though who ensured victory for the Clarets from the penalty spot on 74 minutes after Caldwell was clearly brought down by Evatt following a corner. He confidently scored his second penalty in two consecutive games and increase his tally to three goals in two matches.

Another penalty looked on the cards with four minutes remaining after Elliott appeared to be obstructed running into the box. Moss though made it 2-1 to Blackpool in penalty shouts and waved play on!

Both Akinbiyi (83 minutes) and then Blake (85 minutes) came on for the last few minutes replacing Thompson and Paterson. Akinbiyi came close in stoppage time and nearly made it 3-0 from an header which flew just wide.

However as the final whistle went, it was the Clarets who claimed the bragging rights and after last season we will make sure the Blackpool fans know it!


Burnley: Jensen, Anderson, Carlisle, Caldwell, Jordan, Elliott, Alexander, McDonald (Gudjonsson 86), McCann, Thompson (Akinbiyi 83), Paterson (Blake 85).

Subs Not Used: Penny, Mahon.

Goals: Paterson 60, Alexander 76 pen.

Blackpool: Rachubka, Barker, Evatt, Edwards, Camara (Martin 70), Taylor-Fletcher (Nardiello 76), Southern, Jorgensen (Gow 70), Hammill, Vaughan, Burgess.

Subs Not Used: Fox, Rehman.

Ref: Jon Moss (W Yorkshire).