Date: 9th April 2010 at 6:01pm
Written by:

Joey Gudjonsson was last named in the eighteen as an unused substitute against Chelsea for the match at Turf Moor at the end of January and his last appearance was in the FA Cup defeat at Reading when he made the starting eleven in Laws second game in charge earlier that month.

Gudjonsson has not played at all since that time amidst rumours strongly denied by Laws at the time that the two of them had had a bust-up.

The 29 year old Icelandic international midfielder had supposedly been upset by not being in the eighteen that faced Bolton at the Reebok in January. In all the previous games, Gudjonsson was always named in the eighteen albeit mainly on the bench.

Gudjonsson is also one of the eleven first team players out of contract in the summer and if he had any hopes of securing a new one he now appears to have dashed those hopes after an astonishing attack on the gaffer.

The news broke after Sky Sports reported that Gudjonsson had been speaking to an Icelandic website called fotbolti.net.

In an astonishing outburst he told the website:

‘He (Laws) lost the dressing room long ago.I think all the players have lost faith in him, the performances say all that has to be said.’

Rumours circulated over the weekend that both Kevin McDonald and Robbie Blake were insensed after being substituted at half-time against Manchester City following the debacle on the pitch which saw the Clarets 5-0 down at half-time.

McDonald was fined by the club after it transpired he shot off down the pub to drink with his family after taking a shower instead of watching the second half in the stands.

Laws flatly denied any bust-ups but Gudjonsson commenting about the reported alleged incidents said:

‘This shows that the guys do not believe in what he is doing. This just not seems to work out.’

It is difficult to know why Gudjonsson has broken ranks like this and the timing could not be worse with the important six-pointer coming up against Hull at the KC Stadium this Saturday. The result could decide our fate with a win still giving the Clarets some hope of avoiding the drop back down into the Championship.

Is this just sour grapes on the part of Gudjonsson and does he already know that his days are numbered so is making one last parting shot at a manager he clearly seems to despise?

Does he hope by his actions, he will force the Board to seek a new manager, one that might give him a chance of a new contract with the Clarets?

Either way this is very damaging, especially to a manager already under pressure in the media with rumours,gossip and speculation coming out of the woodwork almost it seems by the hour. Articles in the Daily Mirror and Daily Mail this week have both suggested that the Board are unhappy and could be ready to give Laws the sack.

What a nightmare this season is now proving to be and surely Kilby & Flood are going to have to act quickly and say something soon before we become even a bigger laughing stock.


Bookmark and Share


Please note the Editorial comments and opinions on this site are the personal views of the Editor and should not be construed in anyway to be representative of those of other Clarets organisations of which he belongs eg Clarets Trust