Date: 25th September 2013 at 5:43pm
Written by:

Burnley marched onto the last sixteen of the Capital One Cup last night beating Championship rivals, Nottingham Forest 2-1 at Turf Moor to keep their Wembley dreams alive. A brace of goals from in-form striker, Danny Ings, one in each half wiped out, Matty Derbyshire`s 24th minute lead for Forest. This was certainly an entertaining game for the neutral with both teams going all out for victory. It was end-to-end for virtually the whole game and at times Burnley were put under significant pressure by Billy Davies` men especially after getting their noses in front but the defence held firm showing great resilience. It was also a hard, physical game with the Burnley players suffering a number of knocks. With such a small squad, injury worries are more prevalent and when Ings started hobbling about the alarm bells were well and truly raised! It looked like Arfield was about to come on but somehow Ings shook off the problem, scored the opening goal just before half-time, came out for the second-half and proceeded to get his brace! Phew! Both managers decided to make significant changes to their normal league eighteen and rotate their squad. The Clarets made four changes to the team that defeated Leeds at Elland Road last Saturday (see ‘Team Sheet` below) but were trumped by Forest who incredibly changed all eleven players from their weekend draw at Doncaster in a bravado attempt to show off the depth in their squad. In the end they were beaten although you do just wonder what the final outcome might have been had Billy Davies decided to field a full-strength side. I wouldn`t dwell on that too long though just bask in yet another victory in what is proving to be a remarkable start to the 2013-14 season both in terms of Championship and Capital One Cup form. The Clarets have now remarkably only lost one of their last 14 games in all competitions and won 8 of the last 10! Fans perhaps need reminding sometimes this is a marathon not a sprint and it`s still early doors but I don`t think anybody from the most negative to the most positive would have expected anything like this start and long may it continue!

Team Sheet

. In the end Sean Dyche decided to make four changes, one forced to the eleven that started the game against Leeds last Saturday. David Jones picked up a nasty gash to his ankle in the Leeds victory and had to be stretchered off in worrying circumstances but is doing fine and is well on the way to recovery having been rested for the Forest clash. His place was taken by David Edgar. Michael Duff was also rested giving Kevin Long his first start since the Brighton game. Two changes were also made on the flanks, with Junior Stanislas on the left wing and Keith Treacy on the right being drafted into the starting eleven at the expense of Arfield and Kightly who had to be content with a place on the bench. Some thought Michael Kightly might have been cup-tied but this was not the case. So in summary then we lined up as follows :

Heaton, Trippier, Shackell, Long, Mee, Stanislas, Edgar, Marney, Treacy, Vokes, Ings

Subs: Cisak, Lafferty, O’Neill, Stock, Kightly, Arfield, Noble

Full Match Report

Lincolnshire referee, Darren Drysdale got this game underway. He was the controversial referee who sent off Dean Marney the last time he was in charge of a match involving the Clarets. That was against Birmingham last season in a match we lost 2-1 after going down to ten men. The red card was rescinded though following an appeal but all Clarets fans were hoping he would be somewhat more clued up this time round! With both teams lining up 4-4-2, it was Forest who started the brightest putting the Clarets defence under some early pressure. They were taking the game to Burnley hoping to win only their second match at Turf Moor in the last six clashes. The Clarets meanwhile had not yet conceded a goal in this competition having despatched York City 4-0 away in the first round before knocking-out Preston at home 2-0 so the scene was set for an entertaining game. Although Forest saw most of the early action the patient build-up with some neat passing rarely troubled the Burnley defence in the final third but our midfield and attack just couldn`t seem to get going. In the 19th minute, Dexter Blackstock headed the ball back across the area when he perhaps should have gone for goal himself. A Forest free-kick nearly let in Gillett after catching out the Burnley defence but his volley bobbled wide of the far post. Disaster struck for the Clarets though in the 23rd minute when Forest finally took a deserved lead. The in-form Jamie Paterson cleverly got to the by-line and cut in to cross the ball. Blackstock made a hash of things at the near post but the former Rovers player, Matty Derbyshire latched onto the loose ball and from point blank range he thumped the ball home to give Heaton no chance. This was the first goal against the Clarets in the competition and only the second time this season Burnley had conceded the first goal in a match. The Clarets were now looking determined to make amends. The Forest keeper, de Vries had been looking a little shaky in goal and Burnley would now come back strongly to test the former Wolves stopper. Linking well with Treacy, Ings eventually found Stanislas at the far post but the former West Ham winger`s header was comfortably saved by the keeper after parrying the ball round the post. The keeper though was somewhat lucky from a free-kick floated over by Treacy with the game 30 minutes old. He looked to be flapping in no man`s land and would have been relieved to see a Vokes header glanced wide of an empty net. In the 34rd minute, Marney picked up an injury and after he looked to be feeling his shin or ankle of his right leg had to be replaced by Stock. That injury will be a worry for the Charlton game with centre midfield partner, David Jones also currently sidelined but that wasn`t the only knock the Burnley players had to endure in this tough phsyical battle. Burnley fans hearts were in their mouths when Danny Ings started limping about after going down from a heavy challenge. Scott Arfield looked to be warming up to replace him but Ings found some inner reserve from somewhere, shook off the injury and then came close to scoring! Ings charged into the box but before he could let rip, Jamaal Lascelles got in a well-timed tackle to deny the former Bournemouth striker. He wasn`t going to give up though and with the half coming to a close, Ings delighted the home contingent by scoring a spectacular goal to continue his record of scoring in every round of this season`s competition so far. An attempted cross from Trippier took a deflection and the ball flew high into the air. But there was Ings to control the ball on the edge of the box and turning on a sixpence he thumped the ball home into the top corner of the net after unleashing a divine right footed half-volley.

Neither team made any changes for the start of the second-half and it was evenly matched in the opening few minutes from the restart with both sides looking to get their noses in front on the break. There were no real chances though until the hour mark, the best one falling to the Clarets. Picking up the ball from just inside his area, Stanislas charged forward making mincemeat of the defence before trying to curl the ball into the bottom corner of the net. The Forest keeper though dived to save the danger. He saved the day again after Treacy got the better of the left back to get in a low shot that was skidding towards goal before the keeper intervened. Forest had been a little quiet up to now but they looked certain to get their noses in front again when an uncharacteristic error by Trippier nearly let in Derbyshire after 75 minutes play. Derbyshire pounced on Trippier`s poor back pass and charged forward clear on goal with only the keeper to beat. Heaton was charging out to narrow the angle but he looked stranded when Blackstock lobbed the ball over him from the edge of the box. Luckily for the Clarets though he somehow lobbed it too high and that miss galvanised Burnley into action with renewed vigour and soon they were in front. In under a minute from the Derbyshire miss, Stanislas took a free kick from wide on the left and there was Ings to beat his marker and flick home a header over the keeper towards the far post and over the line to score his second successive brace on home soil. The Clarets, roared on by the ecstatic home fans, were now on fire and nearly made it 3-1 when Treacy was just inches away after attempting a curler from the corner of the box. Forest though were not going to give up easily and began to put the Clarets under pressure again in the last few minutes of the game changing formation to the more aggressive 4-3-3. Substitute, Ishmael Miller brought out a superb save from Heaton after unleashing a thumping drive from the edge of the box. The rising ball was heading towards target before the keeper made a breathtaking flying save. Four minutes of added time had to be played out but there were few scares and Burnley held on to keep their six month unbeaten run at Turf Moor intact. Clarets fans will find out later today (Wednesday) who they will face in the fourth round. A lucrative draw against one of the big Premier League hitters would appear to be the preferred choice, preferably at home

Match Stats

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Shackell, Long, Mee, Stanislas, Edgar, Marney (Stock-34 mins), Treacy (Arfield-83), Vokes (Kightly-88), Ings

Subs Not Used: Cisak, Lafferty, O’Neill, Noble

Goals: Ings 44, 68

Booked: Yellow Card for Stanislas (89 mins)

Nottingham Forest: de Vries, Jara, Collins, Lascelles, Harding, Gillett, Paterson, Moussi (Cohen-64), Majewski (Miller-73), Derbyshire, Blackstock (Cox-64)

Subs Not Used: Al Rashidi, Halford, Tudgay, Abdoun

Goals: Derbyshire 24

Booked: Yellow Cards for Moussi (31 mins), Gillett (45 mins) and Lascelles (49 mins)

Possession: 47% Burnley, 53% Nottingham Forest (Source: BBC Sport)

Ref: Darren Drysdale (Lincolnshire)


One Reply to “Ings Can Only Get Better!-The Wembley D: Ream?”

Comments are closed.