Date: 5th January 2011 at 7:52am
Written by:

The Interview Summary

Barry Kilby as expected did not give too much away about the current managerial situation.

Speaking about Brian Laws, he tried to be diplomatic suggesting Laws was given a very difficult task and dealt a poor hand but in the end it was simply time for a change in order to reach our goal of at least reaching the play-offs. He thought the fans had been a bit harsh in their discontent with our ex-manager but felt the outcome of the Scunthorpe match was just one unfortunate event that led inevitably to Laws being sacked.

Although there was an FA Cup match coming up, the point was made that there was now an important two week break from league games in which to try and recruit a new manager.

There would be an urgent conference call with all the directors following the interview to set the ball-rolling. This actually took place last night (Tuesday) after the recorded interview

Barry confirmed they already had a shortlist of about six candidates and that they now hope to soon meet with them personally. He also said the shortlist contained a mix of different types of managers with differing reputations.

The Chairman would not be drawn on a definitive timescale to finalise the appointment other than to intimate as soon as possible. It was more important to get the right man in place when ready at the right time.

The Pre-Interview Pre-amble

Burnley FC Chairman, Barry Kilby is now back in the country after last week phoning Brian Laws from New York telling him he wanted him to stand down as manager. The Official site has now announced that the club will put out an interview with Kilby at 8am today on Clarets Player.

In an exclusive interview, Kilby is expected to discuss the decision to sack Laws and comment on the timescale they are working to in order to find a replacement. The club also have a shortlist in place and Kilby may hint on the numbers involved although is unlikely to mention any names of course.

During the match commentary at Reading on Clarets Player, it was mentioned that there had been over 60 applications for the job but at the moment there seem to be about 6 candidates predominantly mentioned in the media.

Most Clarets fans are hoping `Big Sam ‘Allardyce will get the job but our chances of getting him seem to blow hot and cold every day. He had been hinted that he would be flying back from Dubai for a job interview at Burnley but that seems to have been denied by Big Sam himself. Two days ago he was asked if he would return to management in England and he said:

‘It depends for me on the job that is offered.

‘I can only wait and see who makes me an offer. If they have the same ambition to me then I will take up that position.’

Allardyce revealed he had not been in contact with Championship side Burnley despite being linked with the post following the departure of Brian Laws.

‘There has been a little bit of speculation, which I am flattered by, that Burnley are interested in me,’ he said.

Former Hull manager, Phil Brown however seems to have hinted that he would be interested in the position.

Brown said:

“It`s interesting to me that there are one or two Championship clubs, and not just clubs struggling.

“Burnley, what an opportunity for somebody to go in there, a few points from the play-offs at the moment.

“I think it is a great opportunity for someone to go in but there are some very good men out there.

“I watched them against Barnsley (in October) and they won the game comfortably 3-0.

‘They had a good system, 4-3-3, that suited the players.

“They had big Chris Iwelumo up top who was getting good service from Eagles, and they had energy in midfield.

“I thought they were probably a little bit underachieving that they were outside the play-offs.

“I thought they should have been in the play-offs and with the history of last year, coming down from the Premier League, there was a little bit of expectancy there.”

The club also recently put out the following statement which raised a few highbrows:

‘Contrary to local newspaper reports, no plans are in place for an official approach for any candidate currently in employment elsewhere.’

Hopefully Barry Kilby might explain that remark today but does that mean that the other managers linked to the position currently in jobs can definitely be ruled out? Does that really mean Eddie Howe (Bournemouth),Derek McInnes (St Johnstone), Malky MacKay (Watford), Paul Lambert (Norwich) and Billy Davies (Derby) can now relax and get on with their jobs safe in the knowledge that Burnley won`t come-a-poaching?

We now seem have the Runners & RIDER but why make such a statement? Are we covering our legal backside, are we ruling these managers out because we don`t want to fork out compensation or is it all a red herring to put the media off the scent? Do tell us Barry.

Amongst the latest managers to enter the betting list are a couple of bizarre ones. Manchester United player, Gary Neville is one and the other is our former player, Paul Cook now doing well managing Sligo Rovers.

It is certainly interesting times but watch this space, we will come back and report what Kilby said to Clarets Player whilst hoping some of the unanswered questions will be resolved.

Join The Vital Debate